Slow speed oversteer.. back end came out

Arnold

Lifer
Yesterday I pulled out onto a pretty small, tight roundabout doing about 10/15 mph and the next thing I know, the back end has gone light and spun out from behind.

I've got Meister R coilovers which are set reasonably firm all round, whiteline panhard rod, fixed ARB, 4 pretty good Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres fitted and had a boot full of shopping plus three people on board. It was unexpected and just curious to know why this would have happened?

The roads also looked like they had been recently gritted, so maybe that was it, but just wondered if the coilovers are too hard for these autumn conditions or if the extra weight may have been the reason. I haven't got a clue why it did it.. if anyone has any ideas :)

Cheers
Arnold.

dac69er

Super Moderator
i would say its the time of year mate. only need the gritter to miss a spot and you hit ice and slide. if it happens on a warmer dry day then worry about it

laskt9

Member +
You probably got lift off oversteer as said above. I get it a lot in the rain. I love it

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

George611

Member +
probably just the road conditions mate altho spanking it last saturday it didnt come out once on the roundabouts :) lol...but as above there was probably diesel down plus the shite conditions, i wouldnt worry buddy sounds like the setup is decent anyway

SupaStu

Member +
I would say almost for sure its ice, I noticed on the inside of most roundabouts it was icey, and when I went in too close things starting moving.

WallaceGlanza

Member +
Stiff suspension will make a car slide a lot more in bad conditions, if you have the rear set overly stiff it will be more susceptible to oversteer so try turning the damping down a little at the back to help.

Summer tyres, a stiffly set up car and current road conditions will make a car slide very easily!

Paul_JJ

Member +
I had this problem in the past, I found the solution as well -)

Make the rear as soft as possible.
Replace your rear tyres, if they have a good thread it doesn't mean that they will grip well in the winter, especially the old tyres or certain sport/summer tyres.
Another thing you could do is to lower the pressure on your rear tyres - put 28 or 26 PSI.
One more thing as a quick fix - put something heavy in to your boot - anything which has weight, at least 25KG - this will improve your grip.

Last edited:

pilgrim_fgau

Member +
I done the exact same, tight wee corner, doing no more than 15mph as I had literally pulled off a set lights about 5m away, pulling off nice and easy, fair enough the camber on the road was leaning to the opposite side I would have liked it but boom.... full 180 degree spin... facing oncoming traffic at 5pm rush hour... nice.

At the time I had d2's, I also blamed the car being far too stiff at the rear for winter conditions.

Jay

Admin
This little characteristic even catches the pros out. Soften up the rear a little and keep your acceleration/deceleration controlled.

I feel it's just the car's way of bitchslapping me back into check. I need that every now and again..

GP82

Member +
The tarmac is jus' too cold at this time of the year for the tyre to get traction spesh on that side of the roundabout where the sunlight don't reach. Temp in the tyre is where the grip comes from. There is no mechanical drive on the rear so they will take much longer to work. Jus' take it easy.

Arnold

Lifer
Cheers for the replies all. I'll soften the suspension up. Tyre pressures have already been lowered too.

About 14 cars crashed this morning near where I was talking about, so it may well have been black ice that did it. Be careful out there!

Also my rear brakes, handbreak i'm guessing responsible for that, was seized this morning. Made driving the first couple of miles very hard! Been advised to leave it in gear but leave the handbrake off.