Solid buckets

Jay

Admin
Means you can rev higher without fear of the shims failing, the buckets hold them captive in place. Can be a pain in the hole to do apparently, I've no first hand experience in fitting them unfortunately.

From memory there's a Yaris that would yield the necessary parts, can't quite remember which engine but possibly the 1.5 petrol. Hopefully someone with first hand knowledge can advise better.

JAy

350ep70gr

Member +
The reason going solid buckets is more or less what my old friend Jay said. Many Toyota engine share the same bucket. Some use the one coming from the 1.5 diesel with engine code 1NZ or 1ZN I cant recall. I use the one coming from the 1000cc yaris engine with code 1SZ-FE with Toyota p/n 13751-23030. Those buckets comes in sizes from 5,12 mm to 5,68mm in sizes of 0,02. So p/n starts from 13751-23030 for 5,12mm and ends to 13751-23310 for 5,68mm.
For example 23030 is 5,12mm, 23040 is 5,14mm, 23050 is 5,16mm and the list goes on.
What I usually do is to take 16pcs from code 13751-23310 which are the longer possible and adjust valve stem to fit. Not a very difficult job to do if you know what are you doing but for sure it is time consuming. I haven't use them with oem valves tho..
The price of them is about 16euros +vat in Greece so isn't something cheap to do without any specific reason.
Oem buckets can run 8000rpm all day long no prob.
With solid buckets I run 9100 and for 5 years I have zero issues.
Most of the problems I have seen with oem buckets split the shim out is due to very wrong cam lobe ramp (when reprofil) or stupid high lift cams.

Thanks
Chris

Skalabala

Member +
Are there any shim buckets that are longer? So regrind cams can be used without making the valves longer?
Or I think 4AGE valves are longer.... Hmmmm could be a nice option to upgrade for not spending a lot?