Standard Manifold Porting with pictures and explaination

TurboDave

Member +
Right I had to remove my turbo this morning to be sent away to have some more work done to it so I took the manifold off the same time. Once they have been off before its a dawdle took me 40 minutes to have the turbo and mani in my hand.

You need the trusty;

IMAG0589.jpg

I then had a good look at runner 3 and then started work, I grinded the part where runner 3 enters the turbo first to get some grinding practice!

IMAG0579.jpg

Happy with the grinding I grinded down the rest of them and smoothed them down best I could, this picture looks crap but its much better in the flesh, there was a lip of cast all the way around the edge which was realy in the way so that had to go too.

IMAG0591.jpg

Next on the list was the runners where they join the head I smoothed them down as there was a small lip on all of them and grinded away what I could to make the gas flow better;

IMAG0593.jpg

Next was the dreaded runner 3 :(, It took absolutley ages of meticulous grinding but I am very happy with the end result, I grinded away easily 80% of the obstruction, Runner 2's restriction also had some attention.

IMAG0599.jpg

So a good job I am very happy with it, saved me 200 quid aswel! And cost hardly anything I wore out 4 dremel grinding stones and my hand is still shaking from the vibrating of the dremel.

C

CaL

basically a jam manifold now...but your saving ££££....only costs £4?to do?nice one dave

TurboDave

Member +
Yip I am happy with it and I dont think it will be much different flowing to a JAM one now, the restrictions in runners 2 and 3 are gone and the part where it goes into the turbo has been grinded nicely.

When you look at the picture of the jam one they dont seem to have made any changes to the area where it joins the turbo, I know the part which splits the exhaust gasses before they enter the turbo is needed for the pulsing effect but surely it is better if it can flow better.

I need to get my turbo back and it all back together now :).

that is EXCELLENT WORK there turbodave

i have stated before ----a guy ported an OEM manifold...and ran it with great success......a 12sec 4efte...with ct12 variant turbo..........and NUFF mods........mazcarconversion/jamaica

your port work looks great..u should notice a nice improvement with that work

TurboDave

Member +
Cheers for the kind words, it did take about 3 hours though my hand is still shaking from the vibrations and I went through 4 dremel grinding stones!

I think it will make a noticeable difference especially because I am running 1.2 bar through the hybrid. When it comes back hopefully with a larger wheel again ill be laughing. Time for a remap then though. :)

Definatley worth doing it costs next to nothing too which is my favourite price!

dac69er

Super Moderator
the part that enters the turbo from the manifold on the jam unit is completely different to the stock one mate!

TurboDave

Member +
It doesnt look that much different to me they just look shinier, infact it looks like the ports from mani/turbo are smaller.

JAMExhaustManifold.jpg

dac69er

Super Moderator
its hard to tell from that pic tbh. most of the difference is when you look at it from the top. ive had both side by side and there is a difference. the ports are about the same size. also number 2 and 3 and 1 and 4 are paired off so to speak. its hard to explain!!!!

TurboDave

Member +
Ahh right I have never seen a JAM one in the flesh so I cant realy say anything else :)

The do look similar in the picture though and that is all I have to go on, you have one to compare.

dac69er

Super Moderator
i will admit, not a massive difference but seems to be enough. made a noticeable difference on mine

thefalls

Member +
keep us posted with your results dave....
i mean after u install the [new] turbo n get some good results out of it.
some close up pics of the grinding site would be highly appreciated.
thanks and keep up the good work....
I think you can even make a tutorial out of it...

Pumba_GT

Member +
i will admit, not a massive difference but seems to be enough. made a noticeable difference on mine

Sorry dac, do you mean that after fitting the JAM mani, you actually did notice a sudden improvement? How's the improvement like, for example, better throttle respond or spool up quicker? I am keen on the results...

dac69er

Super Moderator
yes with the jam mani i noticed a difference straight away. spool up was quicker and it goes better midrange and top end. bottom end seems abit less torquey though

TurboDave

Member +
Yeah I will do I have loads of other pictures so I may aswel make one up.

Hopefully they can do something else with my turbo. When it goes back together I will be off up to The Racing Line for a mapping session, I have changed loads since it got mapped last.

Hoping to get the quickest qtr mile, CT9 hybrid starlet in the UK :)

hardcoreep

Member +
As the owner of both, the ported manfold will crack in two places. 1)The place you grinded away is over the bolt. You've made it thinner and the heat will simply crack it in about 2-3months depending on your useage. 2)Grinding away the '+' in the middle of the manifold will also result in hairline cracks. This is because that '+' also provides structural support for the manifold. So again, a few months start looking for small hairline fractures on the top.

As for the JAM manifold the runners are bigger and consistent in size all the way through to the split. What they did was cast it bigger, but to the same OEM thickness of the stock manifold so the heat won't crack it. The casting doesn't make the two rear manifold bolts intrude into the the runner.

I strongly guess that ported manifold is dead. I don't think it will last you more than six months before you're gonna have to change it, unless you don't use your car tooo often.

hardcoreep

Member +
that is EXCELLENT WORK there turbodave

i have stated before ----a guy ported an OEM manifold...and ran it with great success......a 12sec 4efte...with ct12 variant turbo..........and NUFF mods........mazcarconversion/jamaica

your port work looks great..u should notice a nice improvement with that work
If you're thinking bout MAXCar conversion that's questionable information. Max used to machine away the cross in the middle for flow reasons. great for drag racing, not for daily use.

TurboDave

Member +
As the owner of both, the ported manfold will crack in two places. 1)The place you grinded away is over the bolt. You've made it thinner and the heat will simply crack it in about 2-3months depending on your useage. 2)Grinding away the '+' in the middle of the manifold will also result in hairline cracks. This is because that '+' also provides structural support for the manifold. So again, a few months start looking for small hairline fractures on the top.

As for the JAM manifold the runners are bigger and consistent in size all the way through to the split. What they did was cast it bigger, but to the same OEM thickness of the stock manifold so the heat won't crack it. The casting doesn't make the two rear manifold bolts intrude into the the runner.

I strongly guess that ported manifold is dead. I don't think it will last you more than six months before you're gonna have to change it, unless you don't use your car tooo often.

The cross part where the mani meets the turbo isnt that thin and was cracked before I started so I dont give a shit. I have 3 other stock manifolds so if this one breaks ill do another one. And I am sure Dave B stated that the JAM runners are the same size.

If it cracks where the bolt goes ill remove the bolt, squirt loads of exhaust sealant in there and whack the stud/nut back in until I do my other mani.

Cheers for the heads up if it was one but the manifolds cost nothing so there is nothing to loose.

hardcoreep

Member +
I've measured the JAM Manifold. As I have with most of the stuff. The runners are larger. More importantly its a consistent diameter all the way through. Unless I got the odd one out, or my digital caliper is wrong.