Standard oil filter wrench socket size

RoyalDutchie

Member +
Quick question about the oil wrench socket. What inner diameter do they have and how many teeth do they need for the standard filter(14 right?). I mostly tighten the oil filter by hand, unsure if this has a risk of stripping the thread. Next time I want to do it the right(maybe even use a rotation angle gauge) way also getting the filter off can be a pain. Maybe my filter is currently leaking did see a line of dirt going down the filter, but may well be the oil used to lubricate the o ring when I installed it. Will keep my eye on it anyways just to be sure.

With kind regards,
Brian

SKINY

Lifer
Normally just a good hand tighten I do bud, even on the Dumpers, Diggers etc
Removing them I have a strap wrench and a chain wrench both 1/2 inch drive :)
When fitting new filters I always make sure the mating surface is spotless then wet the new filter rubber ring with fresh oil :)

RoyalDutchie

Member +
I have been using the strap wrench I found floating in my spare wheel well. It dents the old filter pretty badly but does get the job done. Then I install a new filter the way you describe above. In most cases I try to get is as tight with my hands as I can get it but without trying excessively.

Just feels a bit more comforting if it's done to the oil filter manufacturing spec with the proper tools. Me wanting to collect more tools may be a factor :p