Starlet 4efte electric connectors in engine bay.

Frankieflowers

Member +
I finally pulled up the 4efte engine to prepare for the swap on a Corolla E11.
I have some important questions for you guys who have already worked on swaps.
I need to know where these connectors go what they are for Do you have a diagram with the connector names and code? The Corolla has more connectors on the fuse box connectors line
my mechanic won’t start the work if he doesn’t know each of them

Please check out these pictures and help me if you can

Attachments

• 548727CD-D28A-434E-9761-27B56F85599A.jpeg
    548727CD-D28A-434E-9761-27B56F85599A.jpeg
    241.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 1C5229F8-386D-478E-846A-FAE3C55D7902.jpeg
    1C5229F8-386D-478E-846A-FAE3C55D7902.jpeg
    185.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 34456E1A-6C94-44BD-95B8-3A5904B38851.jpeg
    34456E1A-6C94-44BD-95B8-3A5904B38851.jpeg
    164.6 KB · Views: 15
  • C097C6AB-315B-48FC-A094-9465245178B0.jpeg
    C097C6AB-315B-48FC-A094-9465245178B0.jpeg
    207 KB · Views: 16
  • 0D4EEDC3-A863-4FCF-BC32-B87EE433D20D.jpeg
    0D4EEDC3-A863-4FCF-BC32-B87EE433D20D.jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 6CA5A1A2-11AC-43AA-A567-104A09C5E8A6.jpeg
    6CA5A1A2-11AC-43AA-A567-104A09C5E8A6.jpeg
    161.1 KB · Views: 16

Jay

Admin
I hate this game lol

Doing this remotely is always a bit confusing, give me a minute or three..

EDIT: Only just noticed it's an auto - you'll need to wait till I can get an automatic GT into the garage and refresh my memory a bit.

Last edited:

RoyalDutchie

Member +
The blue green plug and solenoid is for the charcoal evap unit. solenoid and evap tank location. Not required to run, but I do not like to run one without it. First due to gasoline vapors coming into the engine bay. This system will create some pressure inside the fuel tank etc, due to a spring in the canister, not something to worry about this is normal.
XPOHS1F.jpg

Auto ecu should work with a manual, at least that is what a have seen in a few forum posts.

The brown plug may well be for the h4 headlight bulb (please confirm this, anyone)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jay

Jay

Admin
Yeah that brown plug looks like a headlamp plug, probably offside headlamp as the ABS sits there and the rest of that loom piece seems related.

If your Corolla doesn't have ABS you shouldn't bother with it, way too difficult to retro-fit. It's not critical to get it started so ignore.

The blue solenoid is for the charcoal canister. Will see if I can give you an idea of how it connects. Again it's not critical to getting the car running so don't sweat it just yet.

Please note : The donor car being an automatic Glanza is going to add another layer of complexity to things - the wiring is different, I can't remember anyone mapping out the connectors in detail, the starter switch will need bypassed and you won't have a 4EFTE flywheel on the engine, just a weird looking drive plate for the torque convertor.

Frankieflowers

Member +
The brown plug may well be for the h4 headlight bulb (please confirm this, anyone)
Thank you. Are used the diagram from an EP 82 with all the pictures of the connectors and I recognized most of them on the fuse box line. The brown connector is the lightbulb.

so basically I bought and I have to Mattick engine without them telling me.
Can I put a manual 4efe flywheel on a 4efte that came with a automatic flywheel? Using the 4efe Corolla E11 gearbox on a ep91 4efte
I do need confirmation that the ECU map isn’t different between automatic and manual. What a surprise!

Frankieflowers

Member +
Please note : The donor car being an automatic Glanza is going to add another layer of complexity to things - the wiring is different, I can't remember anyone mapping out the connectors in detail, the starter switch will need bypassed and you won't have a 4EFTE flywheel on the engine, just a weird looking drive plate for the torque
Thank you. I am starting to sweat now because I was supposed to buy a manual engine. My 4EFE Has a manual gearbox. What is exactly the procedure I have to do to match them? Is there any difference in the ECU or are there parts that I will be unable to match in order to make it a manual engine. I am sweating.

Jay

Admin
Yes, Automatic EP91 Glanza V going on the ECU part number.

It will operate fine with a manual box bolted to it. There's a plug that will need bridged to get it to start though.

You flywheel and clutch will bolt up to it no hassle, although expect to haul the box back out and replace when you cook it with all that extra torque o_O Would do to get you rolling though.

RoyalDutchie

Member +
Thank you. Are used the diagram from an EP 82 with all the pictures of the connectors and I recognized most of them on the fuse box line. The brown connector is the lightbulb.

so basically I bought and I have to Mattick engine without them telling me.
Can I put a manual 4efe flywheel on a 4efte that came with a automatic flywheel? Using the 4efe Corolla E11 gearbox on a ep91 4efte
I do need confirmation that the ECU map isn’t different between automatic and manual. What a surprise!
You can use the flywheel of a standard 4efe but with uprated clutch. The 4efte flywheel is larger and better suited for the turbo engine.

Better off doing it right the first time, it is going to cost you a bit more, but replacing a clutch is a lot of labor

Reactions: Jay

Jay

Admin
On the plus side the automatics can't be revved out from cold (the auto box won't let it) and they generally have a much easier life so that's ideal. It being the Glanza means it'll be a bit younger than the GT too.

Good base to start on.

RoyalDutchie

Member +
The blue solenoid is for the charcoal canister. Will see if I can give you an idea of how it connects. Again it's not critical to getting the car running so don't sweat it just yet.
The solenoid is connected between the canister and the nipple on top of the throttle body. Then another hose is connected to the pipework which goes to the fuel tank. Little hard to see in the pic above.

Do note the canister is different for the jdm ep91 The corolla one has a different design. Took me ages to find one.

Frankieflowers

Member +

It will operate fine with a manual box bolted to it. There's a plug that will need bridged to get it to start though.

You flywheel and clutch will bolt up to it no hassle, although expect to haul the box back out and replace when you cook it with all that extra torque o_O Would do to get you rolling though.

Attachments

• 1F2147FD-0BB8-460A-8AD6-00BCDFD2C1E9.jpeg
    1F2147FD-0BB8-460A-8AD6-00BCDFD2C1E9.jpeg
    109.1 KB · Views: 11

Frankieflowers

Member +

I have a 212 mm clutch ready :)

Frankieflowers

Member +
The solenoid is connected between the canister and the nipple on top of the throttle body. Then another hose is connected to the pipework which goes to the fuel tank. Little hard to see in the pic above.

Do note the canister is different for the jdm ep91 The corolla one has a different design. Took me ages to find one.
I cannot use the 4efe Corolla one?

RoyalDutchie

Member +
I cannot use the 4efe Corolla one?
I think you can use the standard canister without issues, they have the same function. I opted to go for a glanza one since I didn't have one.

What size is your flywheel?
The corolla one is the same as the 4efe starlet flywheel, which results in a 200mm size flywheel in my books?

Only the 4wd and 4efte came with the 212mm if oem parts match correctly.

Frankieflowers

Member +
I think you can use the standard canister without issues, they have the same function. I opted to go for a glanza one since I didn't have one.

The corolla one is the same as the 4efe starlet flywheel, which results in a 200mm size flywheel in my books?

Only the 4wd and 4efte came with the 212mm if oem parts match correctly.
So is the 212 mm clutch gonna work on tje original 4efe manual flywheel?

Jay

Admin
Theres a difference between the 4efe flywheel and 4efte flywheel. Ideally you want the larger diameter turbo version that your new 212mm clutch will bolt on to.

The clutches are not interchangeable as the size difference changes the bolt pattern.

Another issue is that the 4efte automatic (or any other automatic in fact) doesn't have a flywheel. It has a very thin drive plate that links up to the automatic gearbox instead. You will be binning this plate to make way for your flywheel.

So. In short you need to find a cheap, used stock flywheel from a gt or glanza as an ideal solution.

Hope that makes sense.

Frankieflowers

Member +
Theres a difference between the 4efe flywheel and 4efte flywheel. Ideally you want the larger diameter turbo version that your new 212mm clutch will bolt on to.

The clutches are not interchangeable as the size difference changes the bolt pattern.

Another issue is that the 4efte automatic (or any other automatic in fact) doesn't have a flywheel. It has a very thin drive plate that links up to the automatic gearbox instead. You will be binning this plate to make way for your flywheel.

So. In short you need to find a cheap, used stock flywheel from a gt or glanza as an ideal solution.

Hope that makes sense.
Yes it does. This means at least €200. Thanks