steering racks

dac69er

Super Moderator
are the ep91 and ep82 power steering racks the same?

in short, can they be swapped between the 2 without modification? i know the steering columns themselves differ, so want to be sure about the racks before i buy a spare.

thanks

hail dac69er
i can't say if the racks are exactly the same, but i can tell you that i run a turbo ep82 power steering rack in my turbo ep91 for a few years now-----my original glanza/ep91 ps rack developed a small leak and i could not get a direct replacement at the time, so donor ep82 ps rack was acquired
everything fit installation wise iirc,
you will need a wheel alignment afterwards for sure

Jay

Admin
I should know this.. but my memory is toasted.

Nothing springs to mind other than I had difficulty with the mounts and rubbers on a rack before.

Although that could have been installing an EP82 turbo rack to an EP80.

And now I think about it I swapped out the rusty rack on my 5e about two years back for a cleaner random one from the stockpile.

Let me look for pics Duncan and see if I can work it out!

Rev

Member +
Can be swapped as Quoted from the the AU site Scragley and as Jay mentioned.
' Are the steering racks different in EP82 and EP91?' For 'non power sterring rack into my GT'
' by scragley,Posted 10 June 2008 - 08:23 PM

The racks will bolt up just fine. You will need the lower section of the EP91 steering column swapped onto yours, and you will need the firewall covers that go over the rack as they are different aswell.
The rest of it should be easy smile.gif
If you do grab the EP91 stuff, make sure you get the two rubber mounts and brackets that hold the steering rack to the body as they are different aswell.
Edited by scragley, 10 June 2008 - 08:24 PM.'

Last edited:

Jay

Admin
I had serious trouble finding a set of the mounts and brackets as everyone bins them when breaking a car. Including me!

dac69er

Super Moderator
Looking at pics they looked the same tbh. Also, powerflex only sell 2 poly bush replacements from what I can see?

Looks like I'm best off keeping an eye out for an ep82 rack to be sure.

Thanks

Jay

Admin
Okay, ran the numbers..

Parts catalogue shows that the mk1 gt has variations:

Screenshot_20190418-070618_Samsung Internet.jpg

From mk2 right through to glanza they seem to switch to one type which is handy.

That would explain the fun I had at the time.

dac69er

Super Moderator
ah, so it is just the bush that would be the issue? if i got the relevant bush and bracket i should be fine.

annoyingly i have 2 mk1s and an ep85 (which is no doubt going to be different again).

Jay

Admin
If you can get the lot that is ideal. Least you should have everything you need even if it all needs jumbled together.