stock valve clearances???

GP82

Member +
4EFTE manual states:

Intake = 0.20mm plus or minus 0.03mm

Exhaust = 0.30mm plus or minus 0.03mm

IppyEP82

Member +
When i rebuilt my head a couple of years ago i used the specs on here as posted by Texx but i can't confirm either way i'm afraid.

AdamB

Member +
My 5E manual says :

Exhaust = 0.31-0.41mm
Inlet = 0.15-0.25mm

When cold.
Uses the same head as the 4E, so will assume these are correct as GP82 has said also.

weeJohn

Lifer
My 5E manual says :

Exhaust = 0.31-0.41mm
Inlet = 0.15-0.25mm

When cold.
Uses the same head as the 4E, so will assume these are correct as GP82 has said also.

Thats the figures I use, larger gap for the hotter exhaust valve, taken from a 4E manual.

weeJohn

Lifer
Since shims only come in 0.05 steps, you wont get it bang on a figure, from measuring them around their circumference, they dont always wear square either.

Its a head melting job, before you start measuring anything, if the engine is out and you have had the shims and buckets out, give the cams at least 10 rotations to settle everything down where it should be.

dac69er

Super Moderator
Since shims only come in 0.05 steps, you wont get it bang on a figure, from measuring them around their circumference, they dont always wear square either.

Its a head melting job, before you start measuring anything, if the engine is out and you have had the shims and buckets out, give the cams at least 10 rotations to settle everything down where it should be.

engine is out as i have rebuilt it and head has had some machining work. made my measurements and measured all my shims to determine what shims i actually need. 4 of the exhaust ones were spot on which is a good start :)

found the clearances on a sticker under my bonnet. 0.2mm inlet and 0.36 exhaust. my feeler gauges only measure in 0.05mm increments anyway so am working to that and trying to get it as close as possible.

will fit the shimes tonight and re-check. hopefully i will get it right first time so i can button the engine up ready for fitment