TD04 VS TD04 Hybrid??

scoobykiller

Member +
Right folks, just wanted to clear a few things up. I am thinking about going TD04 soon(as most folk do) but i am thinking about going for a TD04 Hybrid.

What i wanted to know is, I have been told that a TD04 can be run on a standard engine safely at 1Bar, is this tne same with the TD04 Hybrid? What are peoples thought running the TD04 Hybrid on standard internals????

Gimme your thoughts folks

AdamB

Member +
Essentially a hybrid would be a combination of: More efficiency or less lag. Be it with a larger compressor wheel, billet etc, or lighter exhaust wheel. Could throw in there that the bearings may also be of a different nature.
So will be fine to run on a stock engine.

dark_knight

Member +
how much less lag AdamB..? would you know..? coz as it is, mine starts spooling (making +ve pressure) at about 2k and is fully spooled by 4.5k. not sure how much more different other setups are. maybe it's because i'm running 2.5" plumbing and a toyosports core (550 x 140 x 62mm).. :|

AdamB

Member +
Would be too hard to tell unless you done back to back tests on the dyno with the same setup really mate. Your intercooler may also not flow very well, but theres a compromise between flow and heat rejection.

dark_knight

Member +
since i don't have any bench-testing in regards to flow, i can't tell how good my core is doing, but in terms of heat dissipation, it does a great job!! no doubt about that.. :)

AdamB

Member +
You don't need any amazing equipment to test flow. A monometer will do the trick ;)
What kind of inlet temps are you seeing? Do you have post and pre intercooler temp sensors?

dark_knight

Member +
no and no. using the good ol' hand on the manifold temperature check method.. :D lol
before, i could barely afford to touch the mani after a spirited run, these days, even with sweltering ambient temps, the mani is only but a tad warm to touch.. in fact, it's so amazing, the core hot-side could be too hot to touch after some spirited driving but the cold-side is indeed that.. COLD! :D

the stock td04l seems to perform pretty good....sometimes powerwise, the hybrids are only moderately better
so if cost is an issue, maybe stick with a stock td04l for now---get a proper low milage one

seeing as you on lowish boost, the stock td04l may be more suited to your standardish set up and these have been recorded at 1.0-1.6bar by memebers on here (200-260/270bhp)

take a look in the "member's garage" and "performance" sections...do some comparisons of the stock td04l vs Hybrid tdo4l graphs....draw your own conclusions

Last edited:

ramses974

Member +
Right folks, just wanted to clear a few things up. I am thinking about going TD04 soon(as most folk do) but i am thinking about going for a TD04 Hybrid.

What i wanted to know is, I have been told that a TD04 can be run on a standard engine safely at 1Bar, is this tne same with the TD04 Hybrid? What are peoples thought running the TD04 Hybrid on standard internals????

Gimme your thoughts folks

I have tried many td04 hybrid , when you have a gain be sure there will be a lost elsewhere with the turbo...
I tested the td04L15 ,td04L19 td04Hl15 19 etc...the td04L13 from scooby are the best suitable for our engine .Some hybrids are slow to spool, and meanwhile you can get some Hp ,they are not so big for the lake of respons or spool.
I can comare a td04L19 vs an ihi vf35 , and believe me or not he vf35 out performs the td04L19 on the same engine ...
Get the td04L13 from scooby you will not be disapointed

I have tried many td04 hybrid , when you have a gain be sure there will be a lost elsewhere with the turbo...
I tested the td04L15 ,td04L19 td04Hl15 19 etc...the td04L13 from scooby are the best suitable for our engine .Some hybrids are slow to spool, and meanwhile you can get some Hp ,they are not so big for the lake of respons or spool.
I can comare a td04L19 vs an ihi vf35 , and believe me or not he vf35 out performs the td04L19 on the same engine ...
Get the td04L13 from scooby you will not be disapointed

good info ramses, forgot you ran all those variations of td04