Tein Mono Flex Rear

ZinCix

Member +
I recently bought all four mono flex from ebay but rears came super street instead of mono flex. Have you done a mix like that? Will it behave normally on the road if i stiff the rears a little?

Jay

Admin
I actually found that (for local road surfaces anyway) a softer set at the back would make things a fair bit more comfortable which translated to more confidence when pushing on. It's totally up to individual tastes unfortunately so the only way to see what suits you is to trial fit and test.

What are the differences in spring rates between the mono's and superstreet's? Always found the streets quite a good all rounder.

ZinCix

Member +
I'm new to coilovers and suspension settings so i don't know much about what spring rates actually mean. Found this on a topic, i believe they are
representative.
tein (SS): 3 front and 2.5 rear
tein (MF): 5 front 3 rear
By what i understand superstreet aren't that soft compared to monoflex, there differences are on some bits like the msv and there design that make them more responsive.I know that the rear must be stiff enough to be as neutral as possible on turns. So if i stiffen the rears a little they will match with the front. I will get them to a shop for service and some fixes first before i put them on and i'll tell the mechanic to measure and adjust them.

Jay

Admin
From my understanding the street sit below the mono in the Tein range. Mono use a large single piston and are intended for track use, the rates you posted would support this.

The higher the spring rate the firmer the springs. This means hitting a bump with the street fitted you will feel. Hitting the same bump with the mono, you will really feel.

I ran a set of BuddyClubs Racing spec coilovers at one point (which I'm almost certain are a similar design to the mono) and they were lethal as a road set up. Way too harsh to drive with any confidence. You could have read braille with them lol.

Would be worth trying what you have in case it works perfectly, as I said the rear suspension choice plays a large part in actual vehicle comfort on the EP chassis. Could be perfectly rewarding if you get the mix right.