The real reason PSN is down - all personal details stolen...

Dave.

Member +
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...ailure-your-personal-data-has-been-stolen.ars

Turns out when PSN was hacked all personal details were stolen too - names, address, dob's and credit card details too. Make sure you cancel any cards associated with your PSN if you're not covered for fraud.

What did they get?

Here is the data that Sony is sure has been compromised if you have a PlayStation Network Account:

- Your name
- Your address (city, state, and zip)
- Country
- E-mail address
- Birthday
- PSN password and login name

"It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained. If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained," Sony announced. While the company claims that there is "no evidence" that credit card information has been compromised, it won't rule out the possibility.

Why haven't we all been notified of this by Sony (they have our email addresses!)?

Dave

Last edited:

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
Aye complete piss take!

Luckily I only ever bought one thing over the network and that card has since expired but I changed any passwords that shared the same one as the PS network.

GTnomez

Member +
PSNDown.jpg

Nippon

Member +
All personal details stolen. That not quite correct.

Someone has hacked the PSN network, thats right, and due to this Sony have to take a precautionary view that some peoples details may have been 'compromised'.
They dont know whose details so they have to warn everyone that 'may' have been compromised. In this case all 70million people who have ever at some point had a username for the PSN.

There is no evidence to suggest that all 70 million peoples details have been 'stolen' only that an unauthorised person had access to the network.

:)

Dave.

Member +
All personal details stolen. That not quite correct.

Someone has hacked the PSN network, thats right, and due to this Sony have to take a precautionary view that some peoples details may have been 'compromised'.
They dont know whose details so they have to warn everyone that 'may' have been compromised. In this case all 70million people who have ever at some point had a username for the PSN.

There is no evidence to suggest that all 70 million peoples details have been 'stolen' only that an unauthorised person had access to the network.

That's not quite correct, the facts are:

Here is the data that Sony is sure has been compromised if you have a PlayStation Network Account:

Your name
Your address (city, state, and zip)
Country
E-mail address
Birthday
PSN password and login name

On top of that, there is no evidence credit card information hasn't been stolen. That's more than enough for me to cancel a card.

Regardless of what subset of 70m users has been stolen if I am in that subset of PSN users, I want Sony to tell me so my details aren't being used for fraud... I'd much rather cancel a card than reclaim fraudulent transactions - something that takes considerably longer.

People should know this - does anyone use the same email/password for PSN as they do to login to PayPal? Facebook? It takes no effort at all for someone with this data to find out.

Last edited:

Nippon

Member +
I agree that people should know this information.
And i agree that its not good on Sonys part. Should not have happened.

The bit i am highlighting is the difference between 'compromised' and 'stolen'

<b>Here is the data that Sony is sure has been compromised if you have a PlayStation Network Account:

Your name
Your address (city, state, and zip)
Country
E-mail address
Birthday
PSN password and login name</B>

That basically means that the person who hacked the network could have had access to this information.
It doesnt say that it has acctually been 'stolen'
They have to warn everyone about it 'just in case'

See what i mean?

Texx

Super Moderator
IMO this situation is starting to smell a little too much of bullshit. If someone was intent on stealing PSN user information, would they kill the system in the process raising alarm bells identifying the attack? or would they do it quietly with limited risk to the theft being realised?

Something just doesn't seem right here, IMO either this whole affair is some kind of false flag operation from within the Sony Corporation itself, or a week after the network was taken down Sony have decided to put a spin on things so it can role out either a charge for the service or a pay system that keeps users 'secure'.

Call me incredulous if you like, but my life experience has taught me that where there's money to be got, someone will try to get it. Up until now the Playstation network has been a free service, we will just have to see what happens from here.

Don't you need the security number of the card for details\cards to be used ? This information was not available to the hacker so i'm told?
Its sony that has killed the system/netwrok to update/modify it not the hacker i think texx

i've also had 2 emails from sony telling me why system/network is down?

Last edited:

Nippon

Member +
IMO this situation is starting to smell a little too much of bullshit. If someone was intent on stealing PSN user information, would they kill the system in the process raising alarm bells identifying the attack? or would they do it quietly with limited risk to the theft being realised?

Something just doesn't seem right here, IMO either this whole affair is some kind of false flag operation from within the Sony Corporation itself, or a week after the network was taken down Sony have decided to put a spin on things so it can role out either a charge for the service or a pay system that keeps users 'secure'.

Call me incredulous if you like, but my life experience has taught me that where there's money to be got, someone will try to get it. Up until now the Playstation network has been a free service, we will just have to see what happens from here.

Could well be right there Texx.
I hadn't thought of that.
A little mishap with security before starting to charge would make the public think that their fee was going towards a good cause.

Dave.

Member +

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/gx6o4/im_a_moderator_over_at_psxscenecom_the_real/

Have a read at that - who knows if it's true, but it seems more than coincidental.

Dave

Texx

Super Moderator
Have a read at that - who knows if it's true, but it seems more than coincidental.

That sounds like a more believable reason to shut the network down and also why it's going to take some time for Sony to bolt the back door shut before bringing it back online. I'm still skeptical as to whether this user information theft actually occurred and I wouldn't be surprised if Sony is just using the threat that it did to spin the situation towards a more favorable outcome.

danb87

South East England Area Rep
i was gunna treat myself too a ps3 ina few weeks too see what the hypes about, but i think ill stick too my xbox for now lol.

c3dpo

Member +
wouldnt happen on xbl, they use the same encryption as the militiary iirc lol. hence you pay a buck or two, no doubt anti block programmers ddos attack programmers paid for that 40 quid, ohhh and to get that 12 muted for saying fuck

AdamB

Member +
"anonymous" hacked the network and brought it to a stop. They were doing it to get at sony for taking George Hotz to court for hacking the ps3, meaning downloading games and playing them for free etc. They claimed they were not hacking the system against the consumer but against Sony, so they wern't taking it as a chance to get peoples details etc, although what they say and do we all know is two different things seeing as we don't know these people.

_iforget_glanza

Untrusted Seller
i thought anonymous gave a statement yesterday or they day before stating that they had nothing to do with the hack :p they also finished this statement with''for once'':p

AdamB

Member +
They would say that, and lets face it, they are the only ones that can hack it ;) or atleast know how to.