Torn wastegate diaphragm?

Aga

Member +
Well, good day everyone,

I recently did an upgrade on my glanza, fitted a new greddy turbo (the same as the one i had, but new) and 70mm downpipe, and reprogrammed the whole ecu. took it for a drive in the highway to retune the ecu, and with the boost controller off , it boosts around 0.8 bar. as soon as i pushed the pedal, it shot into 1.2 and i let go... i was troubled by that , so i went to the garage and put some pressurized air into the lower port of the wastegate (38mm tial) and i heard the gate open, air leaking out (from the screamer pipe most likely) and after 2-3 seconds, the gate closed again. I am preety positive this shouldnt be happening.

opinions?

and: does anyone know where i can get a replacement diaphragm from the uk? i found a couple in usa and new zealand but im afraid of import taxes...

Phil

Super Moderator
if air is escaping surely your gogin to be seeing less than your desired boost?

if a spare 0.4bar tial 38mm spring somewhere if you want to try it aga?

Phil

Aga

Member +
Give them a call alex..http://www.turbohellas.gr/gr_index.htm maybe they are able to help..
What spring to you have?1 bar?

Chris

i already called those morons. they have nothing. spring is 0.8 bar

update: i just got a reply from the tial HQ...

"Hello,

That is normal, the gate is supposed to leak air down the valve guide.

You can check for leaks by pressurizing the top port, if it bleeds air then there might be an issue as the top should hold air.

Regards,

Jake

TiAL"

so there! anyway, i got rid of a reducer i had on the vacuum hose, that i think might have been leaking. im gonna take it for a spin and tell ya

Last edited:

Fatman

Member +
Anywhere that sells tial locally will be able to obtain the full range of service parts, valve seats, diaphragms, springs etc

Make sure you buy a genuine tial one, the clones are made of vastly inferior materials.

Aga

Member +
Anywhere that sells tial locally will be able to obtain the full range of service parts, valve seats, diaphragms, springs etc

Make sure you buy a genuine tial one, the clones are made of vastly inferior materials.

its genuine mate, i got it from the official dealer. thing is, those guys are a bit retarded, and they dont even sell wastegate springs. once i asked if they have springs and they said "why the hell would you want springs?"