Toyotagtturbo.com Doesnt Load For Me

gv1.3

Admin
Hi,

since the move to our new server some peoples DNS entries have not updated. Our DNS change over is totally complete so if you cant get to the site using www.toyotagtturbo.com in your browser then this means one of two things -

1) the incorrect address is cached locally on your PC
2) your Internet Service Provider has the incorrect address cached in their DNS

With either of these issues above we have no ability to fix them and eventually they will resolve themselves but ...

How do I fix it now?

Its really simple actually but you need to follow these simple instructions to the letter.

1. Go to start and run type cmd and press enter
  2. At the command prompt type ipconfig /flushdns and press enter
  3. You should see the response "dns resolver cache flushed" if you dont you typed the command incorrectly so do it again
  4. Try www.toyotagtturbo.com in your browser and see if it works. If it does your issue is fixed if it does not go to the next step
  5. Open my computer then go to the windows foler, system32, drivers, etc
  6. Open the hosts file and if asked what to open the file with select notepad
  7. When the file opens go right to the buttom and add this line 74.55.13.198 www.toyotagtturbo.com
  8. Save the file (*** VERY IMPORTANT*** make sure when you click save to put "" marks around the file name so it should look like "hosts" before you click save!! In the etc folder you should only have one hosts file after the save... if you have a hosts.txt file you did it wrong) and go to www.toyotagtturbo.com in your browser, it should now open

Your hosts file should look like this

Code:
# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

127.0.0.1       localhost
74.55.13.198    www.toyotagtturbo.com

I would like to stress that for the vast majority of users there have been no issues but some ISP's do not update their DNS entries as often as they are supposed to so the entry for tgtt.com is still pointing to our old server.

I hope this helps the few who are having problems,

Dylan

gv1.3

Admin
hopefully this will fix mt laptop but how do i do it on my iphone lol

if you are having issues loading the site on your phone the best advice I can offer is to clear the cache etc on the device and if it still happens call your service provider and advise them that their DNS is crap and hasnt updated the way it should.

They can then update their DNS entry for our site and it will work.

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
erm.. ok this will sound stupid but pls bare with me... iv tried looking for a file called "host/s" in sys32 yet iv found fuck all.. whats the propper filename dy?

thx
kon

Kelly

Member +
erm.. ok this will sound stupid but pls bare with me... iv tried looking for a file called "host/s" in sys32 yet iv found fuck all.. whats the propper filename dy?

thx
kon

kon in system 32 u have open "drivers", then open "etc" then find host :)

HYBRID

i bloody give up lol... iv done exaclty to the letter as uv said dy.. yet i got this :(

Gateway Timeout
The following error occurred:
Code:
 A DNS lookup error occurred because the request timed out during the lookup. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please contact the administrator.

gv1.3

Admin
Kon - if the hosts file now contains the entry as per above Windows will not do a DNS lookup so something is wrong.

Check back in the etc folder and see if you have a hosts file and another hosts text file now... it may have saved as a hosts.txt file.

If it hasnt and your hosts file looks like the example above and it is still trying to do a lookup there is something wrong with windows because it shouldnt be looking up names that are in the hosts file.

HYBRID

yeah beats me, i just checked everything is as per above dude :( this sucks lol.. theres no other secondary hosts file so i really dont get wtf my windows is doing.. could it be coz i have sp3?

kon

dac69er

Super Moderator
kinda works, but should it still have the bit come up to say im being redirected before it gets to the correct page?

gv1.3

Admin
kinda works, but should it still have the bit come up to say im being redirected before it gets to the correct page?

Yeah that will come up for a few more days then the new front page will be going live :)

Kon: not sure what else you can do mate I have run out of ideas.

Elaine: no worries glad you can get back on now.

peen

Lifer
Just to add, for those people that are running Vista, you may need to run Command Prompt and/or Notepad as Administrator to be able to flush the DNS and/or edit your hosts file otherwise you won't have sufficient privileges.

This can be done by finding Command Prompt and/or Notepad in your Start Menu, right clicking and clicking "Run as administrator".

Jay

Admin
Cheers for writing this one Dylan, Wee John couldn't get on this morning and I had to talk him through it on the phone. Thank christ I don't work on one of those helplines, my head still hurts..

It was like that scene in Zoolander trying to find the hosts file. :haha:

weeJohn

Lifer
Yes Jay lots of "what the" and "where the" comments were made but Jay got me back on.

Thanks to the both of you!!

gv1.3

Admin
LMAO I can imagine the phone call.

Its a total and utter pain that this shit happens but unfortunately it does :( difficult to prevent it when you move servers.

Glad you got back on :)