Track Racing Insurance?

Jaak

Member +
Hi,

Does a person need special insurance on your car if you are participating in Track/Drag racing?

could you guys shed more some of your advice on this subject as I would like to start racing, but I would like to know what all is needed on the legal end.

Thanks,

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
I think insurance only covers injury/death to urself. Don't think car damage is covered.

Jaak

Member +
So what happens if somebody crashes into your car, vice versa?
Do you and the other guy have to pay out of their own pockets?

Do you have to notify your current insurer if you are going to use the car for racing?

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
So what happens if somebody crashes into your car, vice versa?
Do you and the other guy have to pay out of their own pockets?

Do you have to notify your current insurer if you are going to use the car for racing?

It would be hard to force the other person to pay out I think. If they where understanding I guess u could tell the insurance that it happened on the road, but I wouldnt think this would be very legal and prob could get u in shit if it was caught.

Don't think u need to tell the insurer cause if its crashed while racing the claim would be void so doesn't matter.

I'm only guessing on these points lad, maybe someone else can shed some light.

Jaak

Member +
Why dont you pm skyinsurance im sure there able to tell you everything you need

I dont think sky could help as Im not residing in UK, but I'll give a go.
cheers.

Its my understanding that you dont need insurance on the track, but some people say different:confused:

Streetech

Member +
You can buy insurance for track days and competitions, this will cover you in the event of an accident and fire damage, however the excess will be alot higher than normal road insurance.

http://www.moris.co.uk/index.htm

I used these before, plus the site has some good info

ian.mcintoshi

Member +
u dont need insurance for a track day however if u crashed u would need to pay out of ur own pocket... ur insurance will not cover u on the track. many insurers ofer one day insurance especially for track or race days, but these tend to be a bit expensive considering its only for one day. Many people dont bother with insurance... statistically ur more likely to be involved in a crash on the open road than on a race track- true fact :p hope this helped :)

lleey2k4

Member +
You can buy insurance for track days and competitions, this will cover you in the event of an accident and fire damage, however the excess will be alot higher than normal road insurance.

http://www.moris.co.uk/index.htm

I used these before, plus the site has some good info

I use them when ever im on track last time it cost me £67 for the day, but yer what if someone else hit you and you have to claim if they have no insurance?

I'd be 1 seriously pissed off lad tbh

weakboy2

Member +
Not really, when you agree to go out on track you agree that if an accident happens its tough luck. Admittedly if someone hit me because they were driving like an arse i would be a bit annoyed, but if you are aware on the track you can move over and let ppl like that past before an accident may happen.

I dont bother with track insurance, if someone hits me then i'll go and reshell the thing.

But seriously, if you are worried about getting shunted or crashing, then dont go on track.

Streetech

Member +
Not really, when you agree to go out on track you agree that if an accident happens its tough luck. Admittedly if someone hit me because they were driving like an arse i would be a bit annoyed, but if you are aware on the track you can move over and let ppl like that past before an accident may happen.

I dont bother with track insurance, if someone hits me then i'll go and reshell the thing.

But seriously, if you are worried about getting shunted or crashing, then dont go on track.

I just want to point out that people need to read the declarations and liability waivers they sign before going on track, but also realise that people have successfully sued for damage and personal injury as a result of being hit on a track day.

Jaak

Member +

That's not my worry, its voiding my insurance that's the worry.

Thanks for all the input guys! You have showed me the light to take me one step closer to getting on the track:rockon:

Would it be even worth it to take my 1.3 N/A on the track?

bucketep91

Member +
imo its not about how fast your car is on the track its about having a laugh and a good day, obviousley a faster car makes it more fun but theres nothing wrong with having a bit of fun