tricks for changing wheel bearing ?

russyb

Member +
as above
is there anyway to change front wheel bearings without useing a bearing press ? if so is there a guide ?
cheers

the bullet

Member +
been honest i think its only possible to do with a hydralic press mate as it needs alot of pressure to get them in right

Texx

Super Moderator
You can wind them out using a length of threaded bar and a large socket or something similar, but TBH for the hassle involved you'd be better off removing the hub and taking it along with the bearing to your nearest garage. Shouldn't take them more than about 10-15 minutes to press the old bearing out and the new one in.

Jay

Admin
Usually just swap the whole hub for another with a decent bearing in it. But I am rather lazy lol.

Jay

Texx

Super Moderator
This should explain the hammer, threaded bar and large socket method a little better.

[video=youtube;9BopxJyCHUY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BopxJyCHUY[/video]

I'd still recommend taking the hub to a local garage though, even if you have to walk or catch a bus it'll be a damn sight easier and no doubt quicker.

russyb

Member +
what do you think the going rate would be per hub for a local garage to take out old bearing and press in new bearing ? just as a guesstimate

Texx

Super Moderator
I would have thought around £15-£20 cash. Best bet is to call in and ask them what they'd charge if you dropped the hub into them. You may even be able to get someone to do it on the side in their lunch break of after hours.

russyb

Member +
cheers for the advice like you said i think its a lot less hassle to get a garage to remove/install the bearing

George611

Member +
if you've got the hubs off mate a garage wouldn't charge much at all if not message got.boost on here he has a press only 15mins down the road aswell. If i had a press id say bring em round lol

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
i recently did mine..
took hubs off and let my local garage press them out, then press new ones in..
cost me a tenner for that...

russyb

Member +
if you've got the hubs off mate a garage wouldn't charge much at all if not message got.boost on here he has a press only 15mins down the road aswell. If i had a press id say bring em round lol

cheers thats good to know ill pm him, gotta order bearings first

Last edited: