Trigger Wheel - Aftermarket ECU

Djaniero

Member +
Hi guys,

I had a search but thought I would ask as tech often changes a bit over the years.
I have an ME221 Standalone ecu, which I have been trying to start my GT on, with a base map. I modified a spare 4efte dizzy (as suggested on the ME website) and converted it to a 12-1 trigger setup by grinding off 2 teeth off the wheel (apparently the stock 4efte dizzy can give noisey signals as standard)

Unfortunately, that didn't seem to work and now I am looking at options for trigger wheels to mount to the crank pulley?
Can anyone suggest a trigger wheel kit to use and how I would go about making it fit my car?

Another ME user suggested using parts from a 4EFE Corolla, with twin coils instead of a dizzy, as they already run a sensor in oil pump.
Just seems like a lot of hassle in order to get the car up and running ready to map (maybe easy to others but I am no mechanic lol)

Thanks for any info.

Djaniero

Member +
Thanks Jay, I'll have a read.

I've been considering cutting my losses, selling the ecu and getting another one that works with the stock dizzy.

RoyalDutchie

Member +
I'm currently looking into swapping the dizzy with the 3rd gen 2 coil pack wasted spark setup including the oil pump with cranksensor. Seems to oil pump will fit but one bolt won't fit due to the offset on the oil pump.

Djaniero

Member +
wasn't the ME221 supposed to be plug and play with our stock equipment? sounds like a lot of hassle so far on your project

It seems to work on some people's cars with the stock dizzy but not on others. For someone who is good at mechanics, I guess fitting a crank trigger setup is simple enough solution, but for me I only do basic maintenance, so its a bit of a pain.

Read my mind bud, I thought it was p n p with a base map ?

Its still plug and play to an extent, but obviously works better with a crank trigger setup man.

I'm currently looking into swapping the dizzy with the 3rd gen 2 coil pack wasted spark setup including the oil pump with cranksensor. Seems to oil pump will fit but one bolt won't fit due to the offset on the oil pump.

The guy I spoke to who did this didn't have any issues with offset of the oil pump from what he said. Are they all the same or are there different variants?

RoyalDutchie

Member +
IMG_0079.jpg

one bolt not installed on the 4efe

IMAGE_10.jpeg

modified trigger wheel
s-l400.jpg

standard oil pump the bolt hole is much closer to the crankshafthole. Making a custom bracket and installing it on the 4efte oil pump for the hal sensor may be an option. I'm sure it won't be easy though. This system is a pretty good fix for the leaking dizzy :D

Last edited: