Turbo oil feed/return pipe problems!

Sirius75

Member +
Right everyone not long ago I had to buy another 2nd hand turbo for my car due to the oil seals going in the old one. Had no problems taking the old one off. Used the 12mm socket for the bolts that hold the cat on etc. But when putting it all back together I lost the gasket for the oil feed pipe and as a temporary fix used a bit of cardboard the same shape as the flange. Now obviously the gasket I made didn't last and I had a new gasket by this time. So I started to work on putting the real gasket in. As I had finished and started up the car to male sure it was all ok, it started leaking. So I switched the car off and tightened up the nuts a bit more. But as I did that. The thread on the stud closest to the engine had basically worn away and I now can't tighten the oil feed up properly. I tried taking the turbo off to get at the stud easier but the weird shaped nuts holding the cat on the turbo now don't want to come off and keep spinning with the 12mm socket. So I can't get the oil feed off cos the nut just keeps turning no matter which way I go. I can't take the cat off to give myself enough room to get the turbo off. I'm a bit stuck as to hom I'm gonna sort this problem out. Can anyone shed some light on how else I could get the turbo off or get the stud out with barely any room to work with?
Thanks!

turboflow

Member +
ok the nuts on the cat are female torx sockets, halfords sell them, dont use 12mm stanrd sockets they will fuck em. you can use another stud or a bolt for that. if the leaking was not because it was loose then check ur gasket was the correct way round

turboflow

Member +
also im not far from u if u dont get it sorted i may be able to pop over during the week if i can get some stuff done

Sirius75

Member +
i did not realise they were female torx bolts. cheers for letting me know. cos on one of the guides i read on taking a turbo off it said to use a 12mm socket for those nuts. If i cant sort the problem out turboflow i'll give you a PM and see if you can come and have a look if thats alright?