turbo pressure power surge

azerty

Supermoderator
Hi there.

I have a lil problem on my glanza which has been happening for years.
Actually I had the problem with two different turbo kit and two different boost controller.
so it does the thing tricky to find out where it is coming from.

I first had a TD04 hybrid with standard actuator and emanage and electronic boost controller. I had some kind of boost fluctuation .

I changed to PFC with boost control option. it was still there

I changed turbo kit for a WEPR gt2056 with tail waste gate. and it was ok for a while.
then if I remember well, mechanic has changed solenoid installation to fit it somewhere else. and I think that's when it started to fluctuate again. but not 100 % sure. it has kept same connection, so it is a bit weird.

the boost pressure fluctuate around .2 bar . so If I set up 1.2 bar max, the boost fluctuate from 1.2 bar then down to 1 bar, then up to 1.2 and continue fluctuate as long as I keep full throttle

I have to say that when boost control was of on any kit , boost was fully stable at actuator or external waste gate pressure

any of you has experienced something similar ?

Last edited:

wickedep

Trader
hey lionel, try a stiffer spring on the tial. atleast a 0.8-0.9bar spring. if the spring rate is too low, the waste gate will try to open up for the pressure and the diaphram tried to correct. usually using a high tension spring will sort it out and keep the tial shut till your ebc is ready to open it up for boost control.

azerty

Supermoderator
Thanks sacha.
the thing is, it was ok working fine for a time. so I suspect something wrong with solenoid. As long as I keep waste gate pressure it is all fine. so using a 1 bar spring would be fine for one bar for sure. I suspect it would start fluctuate as soon I up the boost :/

dac69er

Super Moderator
Sounds like the gain setting needs adjusting or the piping route to the solenoid and its vent could do with looking at.

azerty

Supermoderator
there is no gain on PFC boost setting from what I know.
there is a duty cycle value, and then next to it there is a value which doesn't seem to change anything. I never took attention to it really. anyone would know what this value on the right means ?

Last edited:
i suspect its something to do with the actually values you have set which is causing the solenoid to open/shut constantly

are they any sharp increases in values between these cells? maybe try gradual changes in the values instead

i know someone who uses emu to control the boost solenoid and it took a bit of fiddling to get it set properly, but now its working great

i suspect its the same with the pfc, its like setting the response/gain all in one, so it takes a little time
if its happening at WOT, then i would look at the values in those cells first and maybe decrease them and see if the problem persist (kind of a boost system check)
if that works, then i'd increase the values in those cells gradually until i get the boost i want

elison

Member +
Usually there should be a gain setting for a EBC to flat out the fluctuation. Check to see if all connections are secure and you have no leaks. Getting the gain dialed in on some EBC could be PITA some times.

triple j

Member +
If u relocated the solenoid the pipes should be as short as possible if there to long u could have boost problems.

wickedep

Trader
hey lionel...you can just plug in the vacum feed directly on to the w.gate. this way it should read the same pressure as spring rate. this way you can isolate the problem further.

azerty

Supermoderator
Triple j, when solenoid has been relocated. it has been relocated closer to waste gate & turbo.

Sacha, if I plug it directly it is all fine (same as if I switch of boost control)

dac69er

Super Moderator
the power fc has a boost setting and the other setting is duty cycle. this will affect the way the boost reacts. the third value that starts off at 255 im not entirely sure what it is for, but it self adjusts after a few runs.

try adjusting your duty sycle and take it for a few runs to see if it evens out. its all a bit of a balancing act. mine holds well at 1-1.1 bar, but isn't the most consistent at 0.8. this is with a td04 and standard adjustable actuator.

it could also be that the wastegate spring isn't best suited to the level of boost you are running when using the boost controller.