Very strong burnt oil smell and smoke in cabin

Blak_Mamber

Member +
Morning all,

Im getting a heavy funny oil smell after ive boosted a bit. Dosent happen every time i boost, but it appears to do it more in higher gears i.e. end of 3rd gear onwards.

Stinks of oil. No smoke whatsoever out the exhaust though from what i can see. Also i was breathing out smoke from sitting in the car lol that cant be good??

Any ideas? I have just chaned the oil and filter, although it has been doing this for a while.

dac69er

Super Moderator
crack in your manifold or an exhaust leak of some sort? most likely its coming from the engine bay and being blown through the vents

Blak_Mamber

Member +
I had a look and couldnt see any cracks or hear any kind of leak. Yeah i thought it would be being blown through the vents. Really does stink of a weird burned oil smell. Oil is fairly black too?

Blak_Mamber

Member +
I get a strong oil smell, not nice :p

I've got mine breathing as below, however i havnt cleaned it out for a good while. May give the catch can a clean out and see if the hoses are blocked. Cheers mate, ill give that a go and see if shes any better.

IMGP0291.jpg

Blak_Mamber

Member +
Really cant figure out what this is... cars fine when not boosting and going most speeds, as soon as i boost, the whole car smells of rich oil / fuel, cant really explain the smell but it gets to the back of your throat which cant be good lol. Also im getting the red oil can light come on sometimes when i corner a bit fast, it goes off wihin a second though... not too sure where to go with this one...

GT_Irl

Member +
Really cant figure out what this is... cars fine when not boosting and going most speeds, as soon as i boost, the whole car smells of rich oil / fuel, cant really explain the smell but it gets to the back of your throat which cant be good lol. Also im getting the red oil can light come on sometimes when i corner a bit fast, it goes off wihin a second though... not too sure where to go with this one...

Oil pump on the way out? Sticky or leaky inectors? Is the oil level dropping much?

Blak_Mamber

Member +
yeah the oil level does drop down over a period of time (say a month)..no leaks though.. had a new oil pump when engine was rebuilt in 2010

weeJohn

Lifer
What sort of oil did you change from/to?

Thats a long shot, if you are just after working on it, its more likely you have a problem with the filter or sump plug leaking oil onto something hot and causing it to burn.

Blak_Mamber

Member +
Its done it on both oils ive used... i used to use fuchs titan semi synthetic 10w 40 and now im using Mobil super 3000 synthetic 5w 40.

its defo not leaky oil i'm pretty sure, its been doing it for a good year now and i cant see any leaks or spilt oil or anything from looking from the top into the bay. Real strange one, i could do with someone who knows these cars to sit in it while its happening. Wish tuning developments was closer lol

Nick@TD.co.uk

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.TuningD
Come for a day out in the GT and we'll take a look :)

Cheers

Mike Jones
Tuning Developments ltd

Rev

Member +
I dont really see any breathing from your photo as both breathers go to catch, is the thin tube on top of the catch the breather?

Last edited:

Blak_Mamber

Member +
I'm tempted to make the trip, but if there is something wrong, i'll have to leave it with you and ill be stranded lol plus its just under 4 hours to get to you which is a chunk of petrol money :p

Blak_Mamber

Member +
I dont really see any breathing from your photo as both breathers go to catch, is the thin tube on top of the catch the breather?

Thats an old pic mate. I renewed all my rocker cover and breather system with the RW developements one as below. Breather is on the side out of view.

photo-3.jpg

H_D

Member +
I had this isseue before when i was using a catch can, Now i have mounted both breather pipes to the bottom of the engine bay and not using catch can so gasses are venting straight out into the atmosphere and whilst the car is in motion it helps pull these gases out faster,
No smells since i did this.

Blak_Mamber

Member +
Maybe if i take the breather filter off my catch can and attach a long flexi pipe (same as the blue piping i previously used) and feed it to underneath the car so it vents there instead of the bay?

H_D

Member +
Better off venting the 2 straight to the bottom that way you dont get any build of gasses in the catch can and the gasses pass out much more efficiently.
You might get the odd smell after a hard run when the car is stationary but it wont be as bad as it currently is.

IMO the catch can is restricting the gasses from getting out as fast as possible i personally would not use a catch can anymore and let the gasses pass out with ease, less maintainance, less weight and more efficiant breathing.

Last edited:

rosso321

Member +

My old n/a starlet the oil light did the same running very low on oil just keep an eye on the level mate. Sorry about the lack of info on the smell.

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
lewis i have same set up as you and use a bit of silicone pipe off the top of catch tank and it goes underneath car..
so in theory it helps pull gases out if the catch tank..
i never had the smell you are on about..

Blak_Mamber

Member +
I'm convinced its something engine related, i've always run a catch can setup and its not always smelt like this.