water/ethanol spray for tmic/fmic

dark_knight

Member +
just picking my imagination. would this application be beneficial in any way on the starlet setup, whether you are a tmic or fmic'er for charge cooling..? :D

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
I've heard of spraying water and methanol on a FMIC, the methanol cools insainly when air passes over it but it's flamable so I don't think I like the thought of spraying a fuel so close to other hot parts.

You could use just water or you could use nitrous oxide or CO2 spray for an even better cool.

Last edited:

GlanzaMarvin

Member +
Of course. If you run the car hard (really hard), the IC is bound to get hotter, so additional cooling is always a good choice.

dark_knight

Member +
so this would only be super-beneficial if i was to run the car really hard like on the drag-strip or extended track days..? ..but for the daily driver with occasional boost bursts, it's not really necessary..? is it..?
i'm a junkie for cold intake so would do anything to ensure the car is getting as much cold air in as possible even if i'm not an every-day racer.. :D

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
On a TMIC it wouldn't hurt but on a FMIC I wouldn't bother. I don't run anything like that and the cars over 440hp

Saying that I bet it gets hot where you live so what suits me here may not suit you there.

dark_knight

Member +
it gets very hot here thus the reason you see me scoping for such options.. :)
spray on a tmic could be dangerous now that i figure the head gets pretty hot, unless i can find a way of channeling the waste spray from under the intercooler without affecting airflow characteristics much.. hmmm..

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
I would imagine the water would turn to steam instantly so you wouldn't have any water dropping out under the TMIC, the spray usually comes out quite fine, though you can make a diy kit using windscreen washer jets which would flow a fair bit more I would imagine.

dark_knight

Member +
diy kit sounds like a plan, although from what i have on mine, windscreen washer jets tend to give more of a straight line of water. i'd look for something that gave more an aerosol spray pattern.. kinda.. :)

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
Different car windscreen jets will give different patters, I know my GT is as you said just a straight line of water. My work car Skoda Octavia though has a good spray effect though still quite thick.