Weird Suspension Noise

Djaniero

Member +
Guys,

I replaced my lower ball joints yesterday, after I was getting some strange noises coming from the front suspension. However the noise seems to have gone worse.

I'm starting to think whether it could be my cv joints at fault or something else?
When I pull away, I get a knocking/creak noise from the front end of the car. This seems to get worse if I brake suddenly, go over any crazy bumps in the road, or I'm parking the car on a verge.

There are no visable leaks from the boot and I have recently installed an anti lift kit with new bushes.

Any ideas what else to look at before I book it in to a garage?

Thanks

Jay

Admin
Did it start when you fitted the anti lift kit?

Seen a few issues were the bushes make weird noises without grease being used or the Anti roll bar makes contact with the suspension (ride height depending).

Jay

Admin
Also, CV joints can be tested by driving slowly in a circle on full lock. Both windows down and listen for clicking noises. Do this in both directions.

Djaniero

Member +
Did it start when you fitted the anti lift kit?

Seen a few issues were the bushes make weird noises without grease being used or the Anti roll bar makes contact with the suspension (ride height depending).

It seemed to get worse on the passenger side after I fitted the ALK Jay. I make sure to use a good amount of grease when fitting the kit too.

I'll definitely try the slowly full lock circle technique. Can the cvs fail even if the boots aren't damaged caused the grease to seap out?

Djaniero

Member +
lol....I was hoping it was going to be the ball joints that were at fault.

Oh well back to the drawing board. I had her remapped last week and thought, ok I'll have break and just enjoy driving it for a while...yeah right. Always something with these cars :rolleyes: lol

SKINY

Lifer
Hmm, double check everything is tight, top mount nuts, hub nuts the lot. If you could get under and have a few folk bounce it at the corners it may reveal an impact point.
I've no experience with the anti lift kits but they could be knocking ?
CV joint noise when they are gone you wont mistake, both mine are away and it sounds like a loud fast clicking when your turning
:)

Djaniero

Member +
Just an idea lads.....Would the inner track rods cause the clunk noise. Was just doing some research online and came across a guy with a corral who has very similar issues I'm having. Turned out to be inner track rods.

Djaniero

Member +
Quick update lads.
I think it has something to do with my farb drop links. The nuts that attach the links to the control arm were not tight enough.
The noise is nowhere as bad now but still apparent particularly on the passenger side.
Its going in to the garage at the weekend, so will report back and keep you guys posted.

Djaniero

Member +
Another update lads.

Was doing some more research on this today - still going in to the garage at the weekend - but looks like this could be the issue:

https://www.toyotagtturbo.com/commu...king-after-fitting-anti-lift-kit.45587/page-2
https://www.ukstarletowners.com/topic/109274-should-the-front-anti-roll-bar-be-knocking/
I jacked up the car earlier and although the arm clears the control arm on the passenger side, its seriously close to it. Would the flex in the drop links car the bar to hit the control arm when I brake and when going over bumps?

Reactions: Jay

Djaniero

Member +
Thanks Jay. Will try and do that before it goes in to the garage. If is the case, do I just need to have some spacers made up to give me more clearance?

Jay

Admin
Haven't tackled the issue myself unfortunately mate, might be a case of thinner plates or stiffer suspension. Might be worth contacting the manufacturer to see if they can advise.

Djaniero

Member +
Quick update lads.
Car went into the garage today, and luckily it was a simple fix.
The bolts for the anti lift plates were slightly loose, and causing the plate to move whenever I hit thr brakes or went over a bump.
When I fitted the ALK, I didnt want to over tighten the bolts going into the floor pan, after all the horror stories I had heard.

Car drives spot on again with no strange knocks or clunks.
Now back on to the other jobs (respray) #theyareneverfinished lol

Djaniero

Member +
Cheers Jay... Was really baffling me. But I guess sometimes its better to let a trusted mechanic with a fresh pair if eyes look at issues.