Which is best Anti-virus program for pc?

Peter1

Fresh Recruit
Hello guys
I want to know that which antivirus is excellent and best for my pc...
for example

1. Nod32
2. Norton Antivirus
3. Ms security Essential
4. Avira
or any other.... best of best....

Paul_JJ

Member +
There isn't the best one! A lot would depending on how ofter the antivirus is being updated! So far I found that Avast is pretty good, Panda is decent, Norton was good about 15 years ago, but not anymore, Kaspersky is decent but slows down the PC and has a lot of bugs, McAfee is the most overrated for sure - stay away from it, DrWeb is unknown for many but is pretty good for the price, some people say that AVG is good, but personally favour Avast to AVG, after AVG failed to spot 2 trojans and Avast found them. It's your choice, but remember that a free version is not as good as paid one, especially if you browse a lot or download a lot of files.

Texx

Super Moderator
I've been using Free AVG for approx the past 8 years, was also using their internet security suite for a bit when it was possible to reinstall the 30 day trial every 30 days. Never had an issue, but then it depends if you go downloading every bit of crap you come across. Personally I find it better to be more vigilant over what you download rather than rely on any anti virus software to keep your system safe, the golden rule is to not download any executable files from any website that is not 100% trusted. Prevention in this case is very much better than cure.

Rev

Member +
I use free Avast plus noscript add on in firefox for added dynamic protection of java. Plus text encryption add on when typing text plus presaved urls program for banking sites to avoid mistype redirects Plus disposable email add on for download sites.
I have been told the best way is to use virtual computer software create a virtual computer with all your settings launch a copy that is deleted when you finish surfing so all the viruses are deleted with it.This is a bit like the avast sandbox idea but more complete.

ps edit: Some one may bring me up to date on Norton 360 but Norton used to be difficult to uninstal it would populate your system with a file that when deleted would recreate an instal elsewhere in your system. So when the virus software was corrupted this became a problem because you needed to delete Norton to remove the virus.

Last edited:

dac69er

Super Moderator
i use avg, but in the past year it really slows down the compute when o a scheduled scan. my pc is getting on a bit now though, so that probably doesnt help.

Texx

Super Moderator
Just had a quick look seeing as AVG was doing a full system scan, it's averaging around 17MB of memory usage and 2% CPU usage but peaking at 10% usage every 10 seconds or so. Can't say I'm noticing any loss of performance, that's using an i5 3570K, 16GB RAM and scanning a 128GB Corsair Force 3 SSD system drive.

Texx

Super Moderator
Vista?! I didn't realise anyone actually used that shit! I managed to go 2 days using Vista before reformatting, paid £117 for the privilege too.

dac69er

Super Moderator
in all honesty for general web browsing and pictures etc its fine. i also find it quite stable which lots of people say it isnt , it has never crashed on me or caused any issues!

Texx

Super Moderator
The most annoying problem I had was that it kept on loosing the LAN connection, plus it was no better and a lot slower than Windows XP. Windows 7 does the job quite well, Windows 8 looks like a phone OS for the PC, shan't be bothering with that!

Paul_JJ

Member +
Tex the problem here is not with the Vista the problem is with the hardware, or should I say DRIVERS? Depending on the PC hardware you might have very bad experience or good experience! I 200% agree with you that Windows 7 is way better then Vista, but for say Office needs when the PC is turned on for the whole day there isn't much of a difference for the operator.

I plan to buy Windows 8 and write a review about it, so far I heard that you can turn off the Metro interface and make it look like any other windows and then it gets really fast, with up to 20% faster load times compared to Windows 7 - again depending on the hardware/drivers. I would not recommend it however, for a least 1 year or Service Pack 1 or better 2.

I have to keep every Windows on my PC in order to test different PC hardware in different OS, of course the times of Windows 3.11 has passed ages ago, so I keep the XP, Vista, 7 and the 8 on the way -)

Regarding the AntiVirus do a full system check with the AVG and then install free Avast and do a full check again I would give you 99% that Avast will find something -)
Virtualization technology is an awesome idea, when you can give say 2 CPU Cores and Half of your RAM to Virtually run any OS you want, just remember to activate it in BIOS before starting any Virtualization.

corofin12345

Member +
I've been using Free AVG for approx the past 8 years, was also using their internet security suite for a bit when it was possible to reinstall the 30 day trial every 30 days. Never had an issue, but then it depends if you go downloading every bit of crap you come across. Personally I find it better to be more vigilant over what you download rather than rely on any anti virus software to keep your system safe, the golden rule is to not download any executable files from any website that is not 100% trusted. Prevention in this case is very much better than cure.

x2, been using AVG free for years and never have had issues...