White exhaust blades...

ChrisGT

Member +
Hi,

Took my turbo off today and noticed the exhaust blades and wastegate penny were quite white...what would cause this? My manifold was blowing very badly, could that be anything to do with it? Or does white = lean or something similar.

Thanks,
Chris.

Monkfish

Member +
DSC00011.jpg

ChrisGT

Member +
Hmm...just took some pics, as you can see the blades are white but I think the actual blades themselves could be white/light brown in construction.

Here's my turbo:
100_1634.jpg

100_1640.jpg

Here's my white-ness:
100_1637.jpg

100_1636.jpg

Here are my funky inlet blades:
100_1635.jpg

100_1639.jpg

So as you can see, its whiiitee! Nothing to do with a badly leaking manifold? I got it RR'ed and it was running mid to low 12's on full boost, since then I've increased the fuel pressure a bit, so should be slightly richer.

ChrisGT

Member +
Yeah need to get it back on the dyno, but my thinking at the minute is if it ran mid-lo 12's and I've increased the fuel pressure by a fair amount, it should be roughly into the 11's...obviously very inaccurate way of doing it, need to get a wideband back on it! But logically speaking, if I've increased the pressure and it was running 12's before, it should be richer! lol

Chris@CCM

Member +
Yeah need to get it back on the dyno, but my thinking at the minute is if it ran mid-lo 12's and I've increased the fuel pressure by a fair amount, it should be roughly into the 11's...obviously very inaccurate way of doing it, need to get a wideband back on it! But logically speaking, if I've increased the pressure and it was running 12's before, it should be richer! lol
yes lol :rockon:

Jay

Admin
Car is spending more of it's time at light cruise and idle (lean conditions) than at WOT.

Nothing to worry about dude, seen plenty the same. :)

ChrisGT

Member +
I think I will just save for a wideband and fit it when I can after uni is done. Just for peace of mind, but atm its running 3Bar fuel pressure whereas before it was about 2.7ish, and that ran 12-12.5.

ChrisGT

Member +
Car is spending more of it's time at light cruise and idle (lean conditions) than at WOT.

Nothing to worry about dude, seen plenty the same. :)

That would make sense, I did a 180mile round trip yesterday afternoon up and down the motorway in low boost just cruising, and then I took it off first thing this morning!

Cheers Jay and Chris, repped! :D

TurboDave

Member +
White blades/housing is a sign of excessive heat/running lean.

If your turbine blades are white rather than browny you are more than likely lean or creating more heat than you should be.

ChrisGT

Member +

If your turbine blades are white rather than browny you are more than likely lean or creating more heat than you should be.

Oh right...hmm, I know for a fact its not running that lean, as for heat I'm not sure. A CT9 @ 1Bar does get quite hot I guess.

fur

Member +

he came right off of light cruising, where it would be ok for the car to be running lean
same things as reading plugs, i'm sure if he was to give the car a WOT run and shut off the motor immediately and then check the turbo it would be fine

MarcoFTE

Member +
11 exhaustblades instead 8 or 9, not a stock CT9 :)
As said above, when driving normal without boost it won't be a problem.