Whitestar

Jay

Admin
Have to admit that 2-3 years in the sea air hasn't been kind..

So this has been lying about the yard for a while just waiting on someone to take pity on her and show a little enthusiasm. Thankfully that has happened so the game is afoot to resurrect her back to (and possibly beyond) former glory.

Under the bonnet is no picnic either:

There's also an alarming amount of rust falling out from the door so the door trims need removed and inspected as well:

Oh what horror awaits eh? :haha:

Attachments

Jay

Admin
This one is still ongoing but I managed to tackle that matt white finish :

Completely flat - it wouldn't even reflect any light!

After a crash course in machine polishing..

Plan is to dicky her up and move her on. After I've spent a bit of time bringing it all back to standard of course.

Calum122

Member +
Very nice.

How bad was the rusty doors?

Is this quite common on Starlets?

My brother sees rust when he slams the doors :/ how easy is it to repair?

Jay

Admin
Generally they aren't too bad with rust although I've been tackling a fine dose of it on my own mk1 5E. There is currently about £200 of Bilt Hamber rustbusting stuff sitting behind me atm..

Two areas of note are the inner sills. Remove the rear inner cards and inspect. Current approach is to fire as much cavity wax and corrosive inhibiter in there asap on any I see. Should prolong life a bit.

The other is the metal strip that is present on the back of the GT door and rear quarter mouldings and brackets. It's relatively unprotected steel so would be prone to some corrosion after so long on the roads. I've seen a few cases where they are just too far gone and need a fresh replacement panel but sometimes you can catch them in time. This GT suffers from rusty door panels (like yours does with the shower of rust). I'll be investigating this a bit further down the line, certainly prior to resale.

Might share whatever info I have on here to see if we can't save a few more GT's from killer levels of rust.

Calum122

Member +
Surely, given the level of competence, anything metal can be fixed right.

My Dad is currently fabricate sills for my car. And as you're probably away, they are quite intricate. Convex and concave panels, he's buying a profile tool so he can match these profiles when he refabricates the panels.