throttle body pipes??!!??

bridog

Member +
hi all ,

i am currently rebiulding a ep82 that i have come acorss , and i have that very common problem off the water and vacumm pipies on the underside of the throttle body

the problem i have is that the car has had a headgasket change and it is still not right ,

it is still losing water into the head . so it sounds to me after all the searching i have done that it could be the pipes on the body .... but they both have water in them ,so how do i know which one is the correct water one ?? its the 2 that go down to the steering rack area .

does anyone have a pic of those pipes and where they go to ??

any help would be great

thanks

weeJohn

Lifer
hi all ,

i am currently rebiulding a ep82 that i have come acorss , and i have that very common problem off the water and vacumm pipies on the underside of the throttle body

the problem i have is that the car has had a headgasket change and it is still not right ,

it is still losing water into the head . so it sounds to me after all the searching i have done that it could be the pipes on the body .... but they both have water in them ,so how do i know which one is the correct water one ?? its the 2 that go down to the steering rack area .

does anyone have a pic of those pipes and where they go to ??

any help would be great

thanks

On the throttle dody the water pipes are a brass colour and the vacuum pipes are silver.

If they get mixed up mate the cooling system drains itself in a few minutes through the engine, if you are only losing a little water you have another problem.

bridog

Member +
ye im eptying the contents of the rad in about a minute. i thought the gold ones were vacum and the silver water ??

This should help LOTS of people, one of the most common problems is wrongly connecting these pipes resulting in water being sucked into the engine. Many have done this including qualified mechanics!

TB.jpg

The 2 gold pipes, 1 &2 are Vacuum
3 & 4 are WATER :)

Reactions: Fez

rmsnoel

Member +
How come none of you turbo lads remove the cooling piping around the throttle body and inlet manifolds. I thought colder chages meant more power and all that.

elton

Member +
yeah, i was about to ask the same question.
What if we plug off the water hoses and bypass em?

Is the water suppose to heat the TB up, or cool the TB down?
Just so you guys know I'm from Malaysia, a real hot country. Will plugging it off help?

weeJohn

Lifer
There is a thermostat in the water way of the throttle body assembly to only let water flow when temps are low.

Its to stop it freezing up if you dont have some hot going through it on start up.

elton

Member +
a built in thermostat?
So i guess i should remove my TB water pipe?
Its a hot country here.. and doesnt go below 25 celcius

scot-ish

Member +
a built in thermostat?
So i guess i should remove my TB water pipe?
Its a hot country here.. and doesnt go below 25 celcius

theres a few boys from the philipines on here mate, see what there doing, because im sure your climate isnt much different from theres

help

please help were does number 2 pipe go theres a rail under the the inlet manifold that the streeing rack pipes go on i hope thats correct but im left with one open nipple on the rail and number 2 on the throttle body with no pipe am i missing a pipe ???

Llawgoch

Member +
you need the water pipes conected to the throttle body asit heats the wax pellet inside to control the idle speed. dont disconnect it!!

water ones are done its the 2 vac pipe dano were it goes im left with 2 nipples one that rail that sits behind the inlet manifold if you look at the pic its the second pipe that dave has numbered i dont no were it goes

Fez

Member +
On the throttle dody the water pipes are a brass colour and the vacuum pipes are silver.

If they get mixed up mate the cooling system drains itself in a few minutes through the engine, if you are only losing a little water you have another problem.
How bad would it be if the pipes were interchaged mate? Would the head need to be taken apart and cleaned etc?

Jay

Admin
Coolant will enter the cylinders and end up in the sump. Oil and filter change at the very least. Depends on how long it's been running but could be a potential engine killer if driven.

SKINY

Lifer
Definitely would need stripped down, cleaned and inspected bud, it's a potential engine wrecker too seen it happen a few times on various cars over the years

Reactions: Fez