£30 Fixed Penalty Notice

stuart

Member +
Got a lovely letter through the door yesterday morning, apparently on the 21/04 @ 17:04pm I was made away that I had an illegal number plate.

My rear plate is a sqaure one, with the MOT places postcode and complys with MOT standards, as they failed it last year. The front is also the same, although it is a square plate which as far as I know jap imports are allowed, instead of the usual rectangle one.

Now, I wasn't actually driving the car when I was issued with this, it was, I think, a police officer walking around on the street, as they said it was 'issued' on my street, bearing in mind, I was at work and so was my old man.

Think they got photographic evidence of my plate being wrong? Could I tell them the issue is bollocks as both my plates pass MOT?

I'm not being a tight get, I just don't want to pay for something where I'm not even in the wrong. And if they are getting that bad with regards to number plates, how come the 4/5 other cars that park on my street with fancy italics, bold, spacing private number plates haven't also got one of these penalty notices. I think I'm being discriminated against, can't tell you how many times I get stopped for producers in my small town, think they'd have learnt by now... everything is above board and in order with my GT...

Rant over.

turbojim

Lifer
i no the feelin stu i used to get the same trouble but they never gave me a fine just warned me to change it as it was illegal which it wasnt so i never changed it

bein honest im not sure on the law over there but i wouldn pay it as they are full of shit if you were at work wen they said they warned you

just lookin for easy money:mad:

they probally havent met there targets mate, ask them for the phtograph of the illegal plate. the m.o.t states wether a car is road legal get a garage to write them a small letter with there stamp stating its legal. if you always get producers regularly collect there badge numbers and once you have a fair few in a space of a few months write them a letter stating the police are targeting you and for harrasment. a guy did it in the newspaper because he had a black bmw with tinted widows lol, they were soon appologising.

the police are a pain in the arse with these stupid notices, mainly coming from there comunity support officers! i had one a few weeks back saying on such and such date i was seen not wearing a seatbelt! and if i was seen not wearing one again they would take it further. well i never go anywhere without a seatbelt but i knew straight away why they had said this, its was because of my harnesses, they just look for the standard strap positioning, i was soon to put them right lol

good luck in getting this sorted i would defanatly fight it out with them!

Texx

Super Moderator
havnt you got to sign the fixed penalty notice to say you accept it?

That's what I was thinking, surely they would have to issue you a NIP (notice of intended prosecution) within 14 days of the time of the alleged offence unless at the time you were told you would be going to court.

If they cannot prove you were made aware of the illegal number plates at the time (i.e. providing the ticket they issued you at the time that they got you to sign to say you understood and agreed.) then I would return reply stating that they have failed to comply with their own procedure and that the vehicle was not in use at the time of the alleged offence and ask for them to resolve the situation. Advise them that if your number plates are illegal (although they passed an MOT so why would you be inclined to think they were illegal), why has it taken them nearly 6 weeks to notify you when you should be informed within 14 days?

Member +
send me your e-mail address and i'll send you a copy of the dvla's number plate requirements.
there's a bit in it that says cos it's a jap car with non-standard size plates that you are allowed motorbike sized font where full size font wont fit

Starlet_Sam

Moderator, Regional Area Reps Supervisor & Gay Car
The MOT argument is bollocks, they are only as honest as the person conductiong the test plus my old GT went through every single MOT it had in the UK with illegal plates and it passed.

GTti

Member +
Your front looks a little smaller than normal? Also is the spacing correct? Petty but at the end of the day if there wasn't rules then people would do what they wanted.

I've been fined because I forgot to re-SORN my car after I taxed it for Japfest last year. Not that it's even been on the road.