'01 ibiza cupra...opinions please

aaronw

Member +
ive got an offer for a straight swap for my pulsar.

basically once i get a reply the deal should (touch wood) be going ahead.

anyone know much about them,been in them ect?

1.8t ,has 140k motorway miles mainly.
has a few little bits need sorting like cv boot ect.

adjustable coilovers all round, full exhaust system (think it was a BFO),
red interior,
turbo timer,
FMIC, solid boost pipes,
uprated FPR ,
been breathed on by AMD and had a stage 2 map and runs 221bhp.
Around 12 months mot 6 months tax.

i figure im gettin it cheap and was guna forge the pulsar,this way i can forge this,and have comfort too.

ibiza.jpg

just wanting opinions /advice on/about these cars.

im after a newer,more comfy but still nippy with street cred (tho not jap)

thanks for looking
Aaron

Knightsy-EP91

Member +
Even at that bhp they will feel slow mate, my mate had a 180bhp 1 and was no faster than when my V was standard. They weigh quite a bit. Handle quite well on coilys tho and do look mean if done right.

aaronw

Member +
cheers potts,..does look mean black on black :-D

i dont mind it feeling abit slow,ive had a fair few imo fast cars and im not 'too' fussed about it being not 'that' fast. more after reliability and looks tbh,but nippy at the same time.

not many bits avaliable on ebay (performance wise)

i appreciate what your sayin tho.

one thing i liked about the astra vxr (burg) i had was itd accelorate from 30 quite well in 5th,due to bein a 2litre turbo, unlike the 1.3turbo gts ive had you'd change down to 3rd. nicer to cruise ect in,inc around town.

Last edited:

boostup

Member +
my cusions got one mate they are good cars mate i wouldnt say there slow once its all mapped right with the sporting mods his flys....

sr beast

Fresh Recruit
my bird as one of them mate,there a very nice car but they do go wrong a lot so just hope you have deep pockets,go on cupra.net and find out about that car first mate

churcherj

Member +
these engines can make decent power, altho they are no where near as good as these jap engines! common problem with the coilpacks they go alot, and with that many miles personally i wouldnt touch it, although if its been services and maintained well it should be ok for a daily runner. they are also very bad on fuel, my mate had a cupra and only really got 28mpg at the most of out it, i had the tdi cupra and got 60+ on long runs....

stay jap you wont regret it!

aaronw

Member +
i think i get around 17mpg right now,i stay in town.
i see what your sayin, my plan is to forge the engine,or build one on the side for it.
thanks for the advice

dantheman

Member +
good engine... shit car.... :haha: build quality on these isnt up there with the likes of volkswagen, these are like the poor bread version.. my mate has one which is running 340bhp at 1.5bar on an IHI vf turbo. does go pretty well but nothing mighty impressive. he has had quite a few probs with it mainly gearbox (on his 3rd now) as they are not far off being as bad as the gti-r box's (the only benefit being its not 4wd)

if it were me id be keeping the gti-r, and emptying my pocket on it to get it up to scratch.. ;)

aaronw

Member +
hmm..ill take everything you said into account dan, if the swap doesnt go ahead i planned to keep the gtir and do just that as ive had cash offers of £1800 and i just cant sell it for that,as theres nothing i can find for that price that i like.

this seemed a good allrounder, the owner said its been very reliable.

id prob run around 270-300bhp once forged i think.

dantheman

Member +
keep the gti-r arron :) you WILL get bored with the cupra mate. dont just get it because you want rid of the gti-r.. whats wrong with it now anyways?

aaronw

Member +
tbh there isnt much wrong with the gtir,i just dont get time to drive it,or fiddle with it like i used to when i lived up in scotland,i had a garage and was great,in northampton theres so many rough bastards about i dont even like havin it parked outside,had someone try steal my gt not long before it sold.

im guna be moving away soon and guna take a break from high performance/demanding cars till im sorted from moving.

dantheman

Member +
go buy a vtec then mate :p quick and reliable. will keep you ticking by until you feel ready to jump back in to juice guzzling money grabbing turbo jap crap :haha:

aaronw

Member +
lol, that does make scence.

ive never had a seat yet tho,will see what happens.

vtec 'was my to buy next car' 1.8 vti saloon.