133.4 bhp with just an exhaust and fmic. Is that any good?

GTom TURBO

Member +
As above guys, I took my near standard starlet to re worx In Portsmouth today and got her dynoed on there dyno dynamics rolling road and had a compresion test.

Results:

133.4 at the fly and 107.2 at the wheels!

Compresion:

1st 170
2nd 175
3rd 170
4th 170

Mods are:

blitz nur spec r
jperformance intercooler
air filter
hks ssqv

any comments welcome!

Cheers
Tom

Franza1

Supermoderator & Area Reps Manager
well bud there 130 bhp standard matey so you do the maths lol

they were 130 break when they were made 10 years or more ago, the min they left the showroom floor is the min that all started to change. a car will not retain the same horsepower it had from the factory.

as for the result it's not too shabby if you ask me.

gedis

Member +
they were 130 break when they were made 10 years or more ago, the min they left the showroom floor is the min that all started to change. a car will not retain the same horsepower it had from the factory.

as for the result it's not too shabby if you ask me.

x2 and on jap petrol 2, i seen couple of stock gt's on the rollers and one made 112 the other one 119, also toyota loves over calculating there factory horspower anyway

hardcoreep

Member +
That is a rather poor figure. I suggest you refresh the engine or at least have it checked for compression or boost pressure. A stock GT would make those same figures. Toyota is generally CONSERVATIVE with their horsepower figures. A FF car would pull a 15% drivetrain loss, so a car rated ar 133hp (135ps) would make 113whp. My friends Glanza made 122wps and I've seen several stock dyno sheets from Japan over my years with stock GTs making in the region of 125whp. In Jamaica the average here on 90 octane is around 96whp. My own car, after a refresh made 104whp stock, after blueprinting it made 107whp on same said gas.

The other question is that is the car manual or automatic?

My guess is that the FMIC might have created a pressure drop due to its size/efficiency and you're running less boost. Otherwise you have a worn engine or a dyno operator who hates you.

Last edited:

GTom TURBO

Member +
Some mixed views! I am in 2 minds really, 1 its a good healthy engine and the power figure could have been down a bit due to the car being 15 yrs old and covering 68,000 miles with a large front mount or, hardcoreep is right and it shocking and i might well need to go talk to dave burwash about a forged engine a bit sooner than i thought lol!!

hardcoreep - if you read at the top mate the you will see that i had a compresion test and the results are at the top ;) and the boost guage was reading between .6 and .7 ( booost gauge does rest a bit above 0 when engine is off so would say .6 ) and to answer your question its a manual buddy!

cheers for comments lads keep em coming lol!

Tom

hardcoreep

Member +
boost guage was reading between .6 and .7
That's at least good. I made some comments in the other thread you started. The test would indicate the engine is sound and the turbocharger is fine. The power loss is elsewhere, so answer the others and I can tell you what's up.

GTom TURBO

Member +
Hardcoreep - don't have the graph till tomorrow when I pick her up! Will make sure I post up the results you reffered to in the other thread :)

Cheers
Tom

i know that but it wouldent have lost a massive amount on a well serviced engine these cars need servicing all the time

but for them mods i would have thought 140ish atleast my bad lol

Arnold

Lifer
Mine hit 145 with a air filter & exhaust and no fmic so i'd say that's pretty low. Give the engine a good service and see if things improve

Stulet-GTT

Member +
Is It a GT or a V???

Personally for a car knocking on 15year's give or take to retain roughly the same power from new is pretty gd really...