1991-1994

Snuglet

Fresh Recruit
Hi all, I need to get hold of a 1991 engine bay wiring loom to replace mine as i have been told I have an auto wiring loom that has been bodged together. I have been offered a 1994 loom and ecu so I wondered what the difference is between the two ecus??

I have been told it is not hard to modify a 1994 loom to suit a 1991 car, I assume it is just a case of re wiring in the ecu connector, but I'm thinking would it be easier to just swap the ecu and loom for a 1994 one, or will this cause me issues with the running of the car etc. Hopefully someone on here can answer my question

Cheers Matt

AdamB

Member +
As far as I know they use the same sensors, so you could just swap the loom and ecu over.
The auto ecu is also different to a manual. So make sure you get the correct one.

Snuglet

Fresh Recruit
I checked before and I have a manual ecu but a bodged auto wiring loom. If they use the same sensors I may try changing the ecu and engine loom over. Are the connections the same for the interior loom, going into the ecu and connecting to the engine loom?? Or will they need adaptin to suit?? And do the ecus run the same maps/boost or are my afr's gunna change after swapping the ecus over??

Sorry for all the questions it's just I'm kind of new to working on starlets

AdamB

Member +
Ah right okay I see now. I'm sure they do use the same sensors, you may find though that the coolant temp sensor has a different plug on it, but its no big job, just get a sensor which fits the 94 loom, I'm sure someone has one laying around.

You don't need the interior loom, the engine loom and interior loom are 2 different circuits. Assuming you just want to remove the bodged auto loom, just swap the engine loom from the 94 model over. It will make it a hell of a lot easier to remove the dash when doing so, just make sure to remember where all the connections go. There is a guide on here on how to remove the dash :)

The ecu's will run the same maps, depending on the modifications done to the engine it could be best to have the AFR's checked by a tuner. But I doubt this will be necessary :)

Snuglet

Fresh Recruit
Cheers for the advice. I will buy it an play around I think. I wondered about the interior loom because it has to connect into the engine loom I thought. We ha the afr's checked before so I'm sure it will be ok as we haven't modded the car anymore.

Thanks again bud