205 or 195?

tobiah

Member +
Hi! Hope your all gettin on ok with the SNOW!

Im running 1.4bar on td04 (about 265-270bhp) and I have 16's with Nankang tyres on at the moment.

In the wet they are awful and in the dry I dont get much grip either...

I know I need to upgrade my suspension but this questions about my tyre width...

im going to go for EAGLE F1's... Just need to decide what width is best? I imagine 205's will give me more grip? any adverse affects of choosing 205 over 195? Thanks

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
205/45 will alter the rolling diameter to around 23.5 inches which is not such a good idea as it makes the gbox more high.. ie will make the car feel slower, it will feel like uv put massive 17s on, even with the power ur running.

definately go for 205/40

kon

Stulet-GTT

Member +
I use to have 205 on a 16rim, fucking expensive tyer's never again...

My 195's are rubbing a little, but think car is to low really...

tobiah

Member +
even tho might slow me down would i not get better grip? im wasting lots of my grip as even in dry i float over ground lol!

Texx

Super Moderator
A wider tyre won't give more grip simply because it's wider, it will only give more grip if it is made of a softer compound than a narrower tyre. If you have the choice between a 205 and a 195 tyre made of an identical compound, inflated to the same pressure and fitted to the same vehicle, the 195 tyre will give the most grip.

tobiah

Member +
why the 195? wouldnt it be 205?

my choice is between

Eagle f1 195/45/16 £70 ish fitted

or

Eagle F1 205/45/16 £100 ish fitted

Texx

Super Moderator
Grip is dependant on tyre compound, tyre inflation pressure and the amount of weight acting down on the tyre, not how wide the tyre actually is. A wider tyre will not give more grip just because it's wider, a wider tyre has better cooling properties and so allows a softer compound to be used, it's the softer compound that provides the additional grip.

Texx

Super Moderator
Eagle f1 195/45/16 £70 ish fitted

or

Eagle F1 205/45/16 £100 ish fitted

For the difference of 10mm in tyre width (that's probably about the width of your little finger nail) and the saving of £30, regardless of any difference in compound, personally I would choose the 195/45/16.

Another reason your having traction problems at the moment is nankang tires are rubbish made out of melted wellies.

tobiah

Member +
Another reason your having traction problems at the moment is nankang tires are rubbish made out of melted wellies.

hence the thread ;)

Just kidding. Thanks for info.

Someone said nankang's werent that bad but i think they are. am hoping at least two front tyres will see a difference...

gonna book it in then 195/45/16