250bhp glanza vs 300bhp glanza

mitchracer

Member +
Was just wondering whether anybody has ever put a 250bhp up against a 300bhp? wanted to know if there's a massive difference as I'm running a td05 turbo at the moment at 1.3 bar making 250bhp and was thinking is it going to be worth upping the boost to around 1.7? And then mapping again. Is this going to get me 300bhp and is it going to be worth it?

weeJohn

Lifer
Depends on who is driving, what sort of heads up you are talking about and how the power is delivered by the 2 engines.

Its not just about numbers lol.

mitchracer

Member +
From like 2nd gear up to 5th, I'm not bothered about power delivery as it's going to be the same for me as I'm keeping same turbo, if your boosting all the way through each gear is there going to be a massive difference? Have you never thought with yours, I wonder what 300 would feel like? Wel that's why I'm asking

weeJohn

Lifer
It would feel like its got about 50 bhp more lol. You wont get 50 bhp from an 0.4 bar increase of boost mate.

mitchracer

Member +
It wouldn't would it? Lol what do you think I'd get outa an increase of 0.4? So you recon I'd need to change turbo? See that's also why I wanted to know if anybody had experienced it before because if I go through the whole turbo change route again and then get to 300bhp I don't wana be disappointed and think there ain't much difference. I'm happy with what I got now, but I can't help but always want more, you get me?

AdamB

Member +
It's all about putting the power to the ground, might not be such a problem now but an extra 50bhp may mean it will take an extra gear to get the grip.
Changing the turbo setup will also change the power delivery.

AdamB

Member +
Ted is the man you want Matt about the VF35, think hes got one at about 300bhp with very useable power.

Dan3SGTE

Member +
300bhp as oppose to 250bhp on the same turbo/engine set up will feel a hell of alot faster. if its a track car, you'll struggle to benefit from it a great deal(although it would still with the right set up/driving) but with some drag racing/motorway pulls and how the car feels it it will make a huge difference and well worth doing.

Dan3SGTE

Member +
Also in my opinion, i think you will get near your target with 0.4bar more... At least 40-50bhp i would say with a good tune.

mitchracer

Member +
Iv thought it was low from day 1, I did tell my tuner I was expecting more because my tdo4 made 240 at 1.4bar, I also thought this was low but the td05 pulls stronger for longer so it did feel a lot better, why do you think it's low? I'm using emanage blue which I thought could be 1 reason? Any input would be appreciated because I did build the engine so that I could have 300bhp and I just can't seem to get close using the turbos people on here rate quite highly. It's only a road car so you think id definitely feel a good increase in power if I got it to 300?

goldenvtr

Member +
how much has been done to the ignition tmming map? i had to change loads ( add timming back in low down and take away up top) when changing form td04 to td05... im 5e btw but the fact i made timming changes is a big factor in power

mitchracer

Member +
I don't really know what I'm talking about with the trimming and stuff but I do remember him saying that he did something to the ignition timing but said it wasn't making any difference so brought it back? If this doesn't make sense ignore it lol I'm sure I remember him saying something like that thought

goldenvtr

Member +
sounds like he advanced it in order to make more power but it didnt, so pulled it back again as its safer for the engine - in basic terms lol

ill be getting a power run when i can be arsed jsut out of curiocity, i did want more but ive hit the limit of the stock ignition system the spark jsut isnt stong enough for any more power/boost.

im running 18psi 21psi and 25, but at 25 it just dosnt feel right like the spark gets blown out, but i have no idea on my power lol. thats 5e td05 16g.

as a comparison though i did have a td05 16g on my mx5 and that made 269bhp and 236 ibft at 13psi so less than a bar boost! now that has a nice big td06 20g on it ;)

Rory

Lifer
Your power figure isnt at the Wheels is it?

Just to add, i wouldnt get caught up on power figures, you will only be dissapointed..

mitchracer

Member +
sounds like he advanced it in order to make more power but it didnt, so pulled it back again as its safer for the engine - in basic terms lol

ill be getting a power run when i can be arsed jsut out of curiocity, i did want more but ive hit the limit of the stock ignition system the spark jsut isnt stong enough for any more power/boost.

im running 18psi 21psi and 25, but at 25 it just dosnt feel right like the spark gets blown out, but i have no idea on my power lol. thats 5e td05 16g.

as a comparison though i did have a td05 16g on my mx5 and that made 269bhp and 236 ibft at 13psi so less than a bar boost! now that has a nice big td06 20g on it ;)

That does sound exactly like what he was saying to me.

Ye it does disappoint me because I always expect more, I'm pretty sure it's not wheel power as they'd surely give me the highest reading wouldn't they? I will have to find out next time I pop down tho and il see what they recommend for a quickish spooling turbo capable of 300 on my setup
I did do a compression test which came out at around 140 across all 4, my low comp pistons and 1.2mm gasket wouldn't play any part in this low power would it?

ramses974

Member +
Was just wondering whether anybody has ever put a 250bhp up against a 300bhp? wanted to know if there's a massive difference as I'm running a td05 turbo at the moment at 1.3 bar making 250bhp and was thinking is it going to be worth upping the boost to around 1.7? And then mapping again. Is this going to get me 300bhp and is it going to be worth it?

i want to know more :
1/did you change something in your engine when you go to td05? (if "yes" the comparison will not be the same as td04)
2/what is your compression ratio ? and HG thikness?