330cc Injectors

Seanmcn

Member +
I was told that if I was to put 330cc injectors into my car with out some sort of AFR controller, it would not run. Is that true??

Or will the standard ECU cope with 330cc injectors and fuel it normally??

Thanks

Adding bigger injectors to a setup with no fuel controlling equipment will run your engine more rich, how rich depends on how big injectors you use. 330's as you mention are slightly bigger than stock (which I think are 295 cc or something very close), will run your system slightly richer. I dont think you'd run dangerously rich by adding 330's but Id definitley have the fuelling checked and sorted when doing such mods. And ofcourse an AFR controller would work with bigger injectors, thats what they're there for mate....

Seanmcn

Member +
Ok.

But an AFR controller is not vital but very helpful. The car should run properly on 330's??

Rep added. :cool:

goldenvtr

Member +
explain your setup 1st mate, with bigger injectors you need a fuel computer to make the most of them

whatever % bigger than stock injector you go thats the % of how much more rich you will run accross the rev range. the only case of the injectors canceling them self out with rich and lean is when you use a resistor type FCD. do some searches on the forum for SAFC2 and should help you out.

but basically bigger injecors will need some form of electonic devide to control them

Timmy

Member +
May i ask why you think you need better injectors? Depending on set up you may well not need igger injectors.

Seanmcn

Member +
I want to run my hybrid at 1bar and maybe later 1.2bar. i have all the supporting mods like mani decat but I dont have any AFR controler.

Would i need 330 injectors at that??

Timmy

Member +
Probably not. I would get emanage set up on the r/r rather than a blitz ecu, obviously when it gets tuned they will be able to tell you if your maxing out the injectors.

GTdan

In The Closet
What would be wrong with the blitz ecu??

Wont it do the same job as emanage??

Yes and no.

Blitz will advance the ignition/timing by X amount and adjust the fuelling by Y amount. This is a set parameter and cannot be changed(unless you sent it off to get redone(i beleive anyway)), so potenitally you could still be running to rich/lean.

However, an emanage would be individually mapped to yoru car/mods - therefore, fuelling correctly all through the rev range and timing advanced accordingly - due to this the emanagae should give you slightly better performance.

mudi

Member +
HELLO GUYS ,so now this is my plan for X-MAs,,,,and now iv been told that the 330cc injectors wont work with stndrd ECu..what do i do.because i cant get my hands on a dyno..its bout 500miles from me and the road is really bad (car cant go there)....

- TD04L manifold with/ external wastegate, downpipe, oil/water lines

- 38mm external wastegate

- Uprated 255lph fuel pump

- 330cc injectors

- Sard/Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator, fuel rail fitting and fuel lines

- HKS FCD

- Front mount intercooler

- NGK spark plugs

- Sort of boost control

-AFR guage and bits

starlets have efi (electronic fuel injection) this means the ecu controls how much fuel it gets !!!! it dont matter how much fuel pressure u give them or what injectors u run the injectors wont squirt any more fuel uless u adjust the injector duty to suit on the ecu side !!!!!!!!!!
so unless u adjust the duty cycle on the ecu to suit bigger injectors ur wasting ur time and money buying them

a blitz accsess ecu has a small amount of self learn (the same amount as a std ecu dose !!!!) all a blitz ecu is is a std one with a piggy back chip the only way it will control 330cc injectors is if it was mapped to run them form the start !!!

so 330cc injectors dont work without mapping
and giving them more fuel pressure wont make any difference either cause the ecu decides how much fuel it gets period !!!!

Last edited:

mudi

Member +
THANKS mark for your time,,so the only thing i could do is either get ecu and map it at a dyno or either use the standard injector...so if i run this setup with standard injectors will it be ok...and mark you must get some rep for that bit m8
regards,
mohammed

Texx

Super Moderator
starlets have efi (electronic fuel injection) this means the ecu controls how much fuel it gets !!!! it dont matter how much fuel pressure u give them or what injectors u run the injectors wont squirt any more fuel uless u adjust the injector duty to suit on the ecu side !!!!!!!!!!
so unless u adjust the duty cycle on the ecu to suit bigger injectors ur wasting ur time and money buying them

a blitz accsess ecu has a small amount of self learn (the same amount as a std ecu dose !!!!) all a blitz ecu is is a std one with a piggy back chip the only way it will control 330cc injectors is if it was mapped to run them form the start !!!

so 330cc injectors dont work without mapping
and giving them more fuel pressure wont make any difference either cause the ecu decides how much fuel it gets period !!!!

The stock ECU has no idea how much fuel is being injected, it only controls the ON time of the fuel injectors. Injector flow rate dictates the volume of fuel going into the engine, fuel pressure has an affect on injector flow rate.

A simple example would be comparing a 200cc/min@3BAR injector with a 400cc/min@3BAR injector, using a theoretical fuel pressure of 3BAR and a pulse width of 5Ms (without taking into account lag time).

The 200cc injector would flow approx 0.017cc of fuel whilst the 400cc injector would flow 0.033cc of fuel without any alteration to fuel pressure, injector pulse width or duty.

The stock ECU has a learned FT capability of 20% and a short FT of further 10% using feedback from the 02 sensor before it will start to shit itself and throw a code, so using larger injectors with a stock ECU and no additional fuel control will not see the full potential of said larger injectors.

There's no doubt that some tuning is required when installing larger fuel injectors so a programable EMS is the best solution, however just by simply installing larger injectors you will increase the volume of fuel that the engine receives.

Skalabala

Member +
You will be better of with a proper management and adjustable fuel pressure regulator.
You can even gain 30% in power on the same boost level with a proper management and tune compared to a 20 year old design management...

MarcoGTTurbo

Member +
however just by simply installing larger injectors you will increase the volume of fuel that the engine receives.

Correct! Petrol needs a correct amount of air to ignite effectively, so injecting more petrol without correcting the air is abit of a waste really :) Unless u like the smell of petrol in the cab and black smoke out the back LOL!