4 forward Gear box on a 4efte

gayan_GT

Lifer
hi guys... im in the process of swapping my 5 forward G/B for a 4 forward G/B at the moment its in my frinds ep91 and it seems pretty quick with it... jus wanna know if any one has experience with a 4 forward G/B whether it will be quicker on a 4efte... any advice is greatly appricated...

cheers

FeNder

Member +
i had the 4 fw gearbox on mine it felt quicker but had lower speeds ,
each gear reaches apporoximately 10-15 km less speed than the 5 fw , and top end is limited to around 195 . i guess its weaker aswell as its an N/a box .

gayan_GT

Lifer
but the low speeds are compensated by the high accelaaration right??? i mean like does it like accelerate way more quicker than a 5fw???

oh...it will accelerate superbly....but will cap your top end speed
u may also destroy it with the power

on a ct9 set up....i will be fun for a while (IF/WHEN it craps itself....depends on how ruff u treat it),,,,and yes it is more fragile than the 4efte g/b

and u will get less fuel economy...cause it will lie higher in the revs to maintain the same speed as the 4efte g/b

hardcoreep

Member +
My friend uses it to race. We find it the opposite. The gears are longer. He's got 188whp from a td04 and you can just leave it in gear and accelerate. You rarely pass 3rd and can hit 180mph in 2nd. he uses it because the longer gearing means no wheelspin, but I also point out to him that it doesn't match the powerband of the EP.

fastglanza

Member +
likewise i have the same experience (that should be had) as Hardcore is relating to...Very long ratios and didnt suit the powerband at all. Only good thing which didnt outweigh the cons for me was that it helped with wheelspin but didnt cure it

Rory u sure its 180mph or km/h? I tink i managed to get 140km/h in 2nd and 3rd took on the rest again no real use for 4th

Last edited:

hardcoreep

Member +
Yeah, sorry 180kph. He uses 205/50/15 Dunlop Direzza which may have lengthed the gearing a bit, thus the 40kph difference. But he doesn't like the shifting. I keep telling him there's a reason why rally cars have MORE gears not less.

gayan_GT

Lifer
ok good info there guys... thanks... just to make things clear

4FW GB = More accelaration but top speed is compromised
Longer gear ratios
wont last long on a 4efte setup

so is this right???

hardcoreep

Member +
No less acceleration, no difference in top speed, just difference in which gear you do so. In the 5speed you can pull 180kph in 3rd.

I can't comment on the strength. I've destroyed two. His is still going, but i drive everyday, he races a couple weekends a year.

well actually....let me update/correct myself....the 4 speed box i speak of was from a 1E (1000cc) out of the EP70 (early model starlet)...mad acceleration....lol

not sure of the ep91 4 speed box ratios...so hardcore and fastglanza many be right on that front

hardcoreep

Member +
well actually....let me update/correct myself....the 4 speed box i speak of was from a 1E (1000cc) out of the EP70 (early model starlet)...mad acceleration....lol

So, how did you get that to work. I had that engine and gearbox in my EP80. The ratios are very short because that engine has very little power.

from what i could tell...it fit up ......but the 4efte blew it to pieces some time later......but the ratios were short as u say...and accelleration came fast ,,,,,,,,but too much power for that box for ti to be turly reliable...but some lucky and some aint...lol..