4e/5e blocks, Can they be linered

sam_glanz

Member +
As above, Im just thinking is there even enough material between the bores to have liners fitted and has any body done this? Just out of intrest? :cool:

Murray

Member +
Why would you want to do this? It wont make the block any stronger.
Only thing i could suggest is having the bores nikasil coated if the block is at maximum bore size and is not usable.

Murray

sam_glanz

Member +
Why would you want to do this? It wont make the block any stronger.
Only thing i could suggest is having the bores nikasil coated if the block is at maximum bore size and is not usable.

Murray

Reason being mate, 3rd injector ran lean and i melted a piston and theres a slight indent on the bore where it got so hot it melted part of the block :S.. its 0.5 over sized as it stands and i have already bought a new wossner piston, so cant really go 75mm and finding another 5e block is proving difficult..

Sam

Murray

Member +
Reason being mate, 3rd injector ran lean and i melted a piston and theres a slight indent on the bore where it got so hot it melted part of the block :S.. its 0.5 over sized as it stands and i have already bought a new wossner piston, so cant really go 75mm and finding another 5e block is proving difficult..

Sam

Have a look at nikasil coating

sam_glanz

Member +
Bad news mate, not long ago you just had this rebuilt!

yeah about i built it a year ago mate, Was going very strong as well, coping with alot of hard abuse on and off trak, One of them things, injector fucked, but it didnt show up on arf.. :( but its done now i suppose, i spoke to a company called classic and modern today they say they should be able to put a liner in, but they will have to have a look at the block so might be in luck?

weeJohn

Lifer
You could just fit 1 x 75mm piston in that bore, get only that bore rebored and buy (or maybe swap with the supplier) 1 x75mm piston to keep the cost down.

The difference in size is so marginal I doubt there would be any problems.

mork

Member +
You melted a cast iron block???!!! Wow, that must have gotten seriously hot! Is your head OK, maybe warped now? I would agree with weeJohn, get the one bore machined out (depending on how much you have to machine of course) and put just one piston in, will keep the cost down. I may know someone who has a 5EFHE block, if he's still got it. Had an engine failure so replaced the whole engine, I can ask him if you like.