4e or 5e

glanza2281

Member +
Hi everyone,

i have just damaged my engine while trying to configure my boost controller. :(:(:( Now I wish to change the engine instaed of repairing this one but as i got a few parts already in hand I am considering forging to 5e while am at it....just thinking whether it would be wise to buy another 4efte

My current setup is as follows:-

4efte engine
garett Gt28r dual ball bearing turbo
WEPR Mani
WEPR downpie
Precision Turbo 39mm external wastegate
Greddy Profec B boost controller
Emanage Ultimate ECU (Mapped to 1 bar)
FMIC
CAP clutch cover
Exedy clutch Disc
SARD FPR.

PARTs that I have in hand aready:-
Ross Racing 74.5mm pistons (rings as well)
Toyota OEM engine overhaul gasket kit
Walbro fuel pump
Cruise 1.4mm metal head gasket (I also have an oem head gasket in the overhaul kit)

Now i have the choice to buy (engine block only) either a 4efte or a 5efe. (The 5efe being much more expensive)

Based on what I already have (parts and damaged engine) I am having doubts as to what shall be the next step.

Do I just put in straight 4efte and just drop the forged pistons in it? Or do I go for the 5efe and drop the forge piston in it?

From my understanding its only the lower engine part that will change, so I can keep 4efte heads, 4efte sump, use the pistons from ross, 5efe rods and the 5efe crank. I take everything such as alternator, water pump, thermostat etc (I rip the damaged engine completely and bolt everything on the new 5e block)

I plan to use the current 4efte gearbox (i think its a C56 one..not sure though as I just changed it). the 5efe engine has its own flywheel on it but am thinking whether its not a straight fit just to remove the 4efte flywheel and fix it on the 5e block (that way i wont have to change clutch cover and disc...or may be the bore is not the same?)

Last knowing myself I know as a driver i tend to really push a car to its limits (redline across gears), now i know that 5efhe rods are stronger than the 5efe rods.,..and some 5efe had 5efhe rods (usdm specs). The guy selling me the 5e block has no clue what it has inside (but it came from japan.) My only worries being here is that no matter how much precaution we take drivers like us like it WOT..we even do it unconsciously i think, so will 5efe rod will be able to bear this...else 4efte rods do handle high revs quite well but overboosting kills them...so what is the concession I have to make here? I think this is a factor to consider before going forged on either 4e or 5e.

Let me have your views and suggestion on this please. Anyone who been in such problem can share their experience and lessons learnt please..

glanza2281

Member +
he does not have any clue as to which year the car from which this engine comes. besides i wont trust the sellers here. they are just businessmen who dont really understand what they selling and only selling matters to them... so I will assume it be the worse case scenario which will be an after 1995 5efe jdm spec rod in it...ie the thin 5efe rod...if its the big 5efhe one so just my luck on this one

fowcbler

Fresh Recruit
Then if you don't want to chance it, just stick with the 4e...I do know that the earlier 95 5efes had thicker rods, cause my 95 tercel had the thicker rods, but that is also usdm too.

glanza2281

Member +
Its not that i do not want to chance it..am ready for it,,,but want to chose the best option for me based on the parameters and doubts i`ve mentioned. i have yet to inspect the engines. am just gathering as much info as i can and hopefully be able to make the right decision. the guys here cant even make a diffence between a 5efe and 5efhe...when u ask 5efhe they hear only the 5e part and they say .,..oh yes we have,...come and see ..:(

all usdm 5efe ones have the thicker 5efhe rods....offtopic i wonder what goes through the minds of the toyota engineers at times...or is it just their sourcing interests that favoured the 5efhe rods at that time.

fowcbler

Fresh Recruit
Well what are your goals for the car? The larger displacement will net you a few more ponies, but the 4e has the shorter stroke for quick rpm'ing.
If you take a chance on the 5e and it has the thinner rods, you wont be able to push as much boost, but if it has the thicker rods you will have a noticeably improved platform for power.
However, there have been plenty of 4e's that have proven plenty of power, so like i said it all depends on what your goals are.

animal gt

Member +
ask billybob dude!! he will tell you 4e all day long them 5e's arnt all there made out to be..
i say the very same like.:p

GI BOY

Member +
ask billybob dude!! he will tell you 4e all day long them 5e's arnt all there made out to be..
i say the very same like.:p

pure aul billiybob on the brain lol do you better to get to look for a job instead of raiding the forums every day lol

animal gt

Member +
pure aul billiybob on the brain lol do you better to get to look for a job instead of raiding the forums every day lol

sory should have said your name aswel!!! tell the man 4e or no E.
me get a job??haha i have a job kido. WHERE DO YOU WORK AGAIN?? ehhh thats right nowhere.
LOL

GP82

Member +
How did your old engine get damaged? Was it detonation or stress to rods and/or pistons.... or something totally different? It would be good to know what went wrong if you have stripped the engine down, thanks.