4E shims on 4E-fte

tsovTRD

Fresh Recruit
Hi guys, my mechanic mixed up my shims when he changed my headgasket and now my car sounds like a diesel:eek:
Does anyone know if 4e shims will work on my turbo motor???

5e colin

Member +
they will sir just need to fit them and measure the difrences and match to the allowed tolerances printed on the sticker on the bonnet

think its 0.25 intake

and 0.30 on the exhaust side

edit: mesure the 1s u have in there right now for clearance between cam and chim then take them out and measure the thiknes off ech 1 and see if u can mix matsh the chims to correct tollerance

Last edited:

dac69er

Super Moderator
he didnt need to remove the shims unless he did some work on the head. i wouldnt use him again if he gave you the car back like that.

i used various shims from 4 different heads when i rebuilt my engine. they are all the same.

tsovTRD

Fresh Recruit
Thanks guys, can i measure the clearances with a feeler gauge?

I will not be using him again, i found another mech and no headwork was done at all, just headgasket... my car has lost alot of power since he worked on it and i think my timing is waaaaay out! she doesnt idle as low as she used to and the power comes and goes when it wants to..... my car used to cream my brothers starlet but now he's giving me gaps! very frustrating!

dac69er

Super Moderator
fit everything and check clearances with a feeler gauge. remove the shims and measure them and then you can work out the size of shim you need :)

dac69er

Super Moderator
if the only issue is the clearances, yes. just measure what you have, work out what you need and go from there. if the clearances were ok before then you can probably use the shims you have to get them all within spec anyway.