4e vs 5e running a ct9(running costs,etc)

RS-Ronan

Member +
well lads.
have a quick question!
how many people on here are running a 5e with the standard CT9 and what not?
just wondering how ye find the 5efte on petrol compared the 4efte!
both on and off boost.
might me able to get my hands on one of these and i'm just wondering what they are like on juice in comparison to the 4e.

when i changed from the 4efe in my old starlet to the 5efhe i noticed i was getting alot better mileage!

can anybody shed some light on this for me?

i'd like to know this as well if anyone has compaired a before and after.

mixed minds weather to build a 4e or a 5e as i have both engines sitting here doing nothing :(

Tim :)

RS-Ronan

Member +
ya i realise its fairly small for that engine but i mainly want to know if they are heavier on petrol than the 4efte or not!
somebody on here must know like??

why is it pointless? a 5e can be more than just topend power. running a small ct9 based hybrid and the 5e would give awesome torque and responce which is what i believe he wants.

after all JAM did this on there 5e engine for just over 200bhp but 0 lag and awesome off the mark torque

popsy09

Munster Area Rep.
im sure ya difference in mpg is nothing to be worried about i mean if ya that worried about it why bother

gedis

Member +
if you that worried about mpg buy a bycicle :p
there's not much difference in mpg between 5e and 4e turbo, its a false economy fitting 5e for better mpg

hardcoreep

Member +
why is it pointless? a 5e can be more than just topend power. running a small ct9 based hybrid and the 5e would give awesome torque and responce which is what i believe he wants.

after all JAM did this on there 5e engine for just over 200bhp but 0 lag and awesome off the mark torque

Not sure where you got that from. JAM uses a K1-200v on 5E. They use CT9 up to 190 on 4E. Over that they switch to the Blitz K1. Their 1500cc engine is also not a 5E, but a 3E hybrid witha 4EFTE head + one of the best designed manifolds I've ever seen.

Having run a CT9 on 5E I'll say a) its dangerous at 10psi and over due to the high EGTs I noticed. The exhaust housing of the CT9 can't flow enough of the pressure from the 5E. Remember this is the engine that can spool a td05-16g with little problem b)yes gas mileage is poor is ebcasue the car is always on boost. The constant blow-off from the stock valve drive me crazy c) i recored more torque than hp, thus the car launched great but ran out of power up top.

malcolmgt

Member +
all he asked was if it would be more or less juicy on fuel.
no one unfortunately has answered him but he has been told not to do it.

i would have thought the 5e would be a little more juicy as its a bigger engine, havent got any experience with it though.

a K1 is a ct9 based turbo mate. hense why i said using a Ct9 based turbocharger on a 5e.

so whats the capacity of the 3e hybrid then? i thought it was basically exactly the same as a 5e just without the bolt pattern issue on the flywheel

hardcoreep

Member +
a K1 is a ct9 based turbo mate. hense why i said using a Ct9 based turbocharger on a 5e.
Sorry it came out backwards, was typing on my TV screen. I was refering to the 5E. The 3E is an 'undersized' 1500cc engine, the 5E is 'oversized'. Rather than convert a 5E to turbo they just use the 3E-T that came in the Toyota GP Turbo, as they believed that was a stronger engine.

all he asked was if it would be more or less juicy on fuel.
b)yes gas mileage is poor is becasue the car is always on boost.

i've driven a car with a 5efte ct9 set up,,,actually i'm familiar with two such cars in the past
i've found no major difference in the petrol consumption of the "5efte ct9 " over the 4efte ct9
if you drive slowly/conservatively, both engines are rather good on gas if tuned, maintained and serviced properly...you can get 400-500km on a full tank

if you drive spiritedly, they will both drink gas accordingly with much lower mpg

i kind of agree with hardcoreep on this topic, a ct9 is not the most efficient way to set up a 5e
from my expereinces, you have a lot of low end, less middle end and even less top end
the ct9 kind of chokes the 5e...anything over 8-10psi on a ct9 5efte is not really beneficial

the initial torque is good, but does not maintain in the rev range
if you want go this route, get a good FMIC, free flowing manifold and exhaust and good management at least

it can be done, but you have to know what you want from the car

yes, finx has done great with his at the drag strip, i know he put a lot of effort into it

hardcoreep

Member +
if you drive slowly/conservatively, both engines are rather good on gas if tuned, maintained and serviced properly...you can get 400-500km on a full tank
My car was untuned. This was when I did my first 5E conversion, which consisted of just the change in displacement with no other modification. I can say that the 5E if driven conservatively (short shifting, off boost) will give you better mileage due to the higher low end torque pulling the car along, however spirited driving was completely a different matter. As i basically drove a fixed distance twice a day the fuel consumption increase was easy to see. The higher flow of the 5E kept the CT9 on boost, especially in the lower gears.

well i don't mean a stock ct9, i'm talking ct9 based like a K1 or larger hyrbid.

would be a good way to get the spool right down on these turbos

Tim

well i don't mean a stock ct9, i'm talking ct9 based like a K1 or larger hyrbid.

would be a good way to get the spool right down on these turbos

Tim

its the ct9 back end (turbine housing) that's the problem for the 5e
even if ported i'd guess it would still be a restriction

@hardcoreep - one of the cars was tuned, the other ran a completely stock ecu.
Both ran stock TMIC, custom exhaust manifold, d/pipe, and 2.5" exhausts
yeah, short shifting and easy acceleration. while keeping out the higher rpm....mostly kept between 2000 - 3000rpm for crusing
and its hard to keep off boost with the ct9 on the 5e...lololol...it took some effort...lol

RS-Ronan

Member +
well a 5e is planned in the future anyway i'd say as i know what i want to do with it once money come in!
so basically,keep it off boost(even though its hard to do so) and you should see an increase in mpg is whats being said?