4EFE engine in a EP70??

Seanmcn

Member +
I have a EP70 starlet with the 1E engine, but the fuel economy is crap ( stupid carbs) and its quiet slow!!

I also bought a reck of a 1993 Starlet Soleill with the 4EFE engine, The engine is in good cond with 160000kms.

Does the 4E engine fit the EP70 easily??

What problems should i lookout for??

Thanks

350ep70gr

Member +
I have a EP70 starlet with the 1E engine, but the fuel economy is crap ( stupid carbs) and its quiet slow!!

I also bought a reck of a 1993 Starlet Soleill with the 4EFE engine, The engine is in good cond with 160000kms.

Does the 4E engine fit the EP70 easily??

What problems should i lookout for??

Thanks

Fuel economy was crap on the 1e? LoL! When i had my 1e i forgot to go to the fuel station.
4efe can be fited to the ep70 easily. Better source a front cat and transfer everything and will save you some money. I have done a similar job with a 4e-fte in my ep70 and was easy enough. You need an external pupm and fabricate back gearbox mount all the others are straight swap. I also used all the wiring and the switches and the dash from an ep82 so it was a plug and play job. In two afternoon day work car was mooving.

Chris

Seanmcn

Member +
Haha i can only get 50 miles to 10Ltrs!!

The EP80 I am using has only a 4 speed box, so I pressume it is the same 4 speed box as the EP70??
Therefore I dont have to fabricate the gearbox mount.

Ah I was thinking I mite need an external pump as the 1E has a mechanical fuel pump.

Do I just plumb the external pump into the existing fuel lines, then into the fuel rail??

I was thinking about doing that with the dash! does it go straight in??

350ep70gr

Member +
Haha i can only get 50 miles to 10Ltrs!!

The EP80 I am using has only a 4 speed box, so I pressume it is the same 4 speed box as the EP70??
Therefore I dont have to fabricate the gearbox mount.

Ah I was thinking I mite need an external pump as the 1E has a mechanical fuel pump.

Do I just plumb the external pump into the existing fuel lines, then into the fuel rail??

I was thinking about doing that with the dash! does it go straight in??

If you are so low on millage check your ignition timing. Adjusted to the max rpm speed. (as you turn the distirbutor engine slow down and accelarate a bit) keep it at the maximun point.
About the pump use the one line that you already use to fead the filter and from the rail you go to an other spare line you will found around there.

The dash fit but you need to fabricate some brakets to hold it in place and also cut the dash cover from an ep82 to fit it over so it will looks perfect. (i am refering to ep82 dash/meters)

About the mount if you say that you dont need a different it is ok for me. But you may find a misaligment in the system...

Also if you want to fit a different servo (as i did from an ep82) you need to make new holes to the floor where the brake servo is siting.(this must be done with the engine bay empty.(easyer)

Chris

Seanmcn

Member +
I will check that later!!

I mite leave the dash out so.

Do you think there will be any misaligment between the engine and gearbox if I leave the EP70 box in??

The brakes are fine. I wont have that much of a power increase to need to change the brakes!

350ep70gr

Member +
I will check that later!!

I mite leave the dash out so.

Do you think there will be any misaligment between the engine and gearbox if I leave the EP70 box in??

The brakes are fine. I wont have that much of a power increase to need to change the brakes!

About the mount trial and error mate.
The brake servo tho will change your brake pedal to much better.

Chris