4efte with GT28R

PsychO

Member +
Hi Team,

am using a GT28R on my 4efte. have installed all supporting mods. a few main listed below.

oil cooler
Walbro 255Lph
DMC 450 (Black)
VAFC 2
RRFPR
exedy stage 2 clutch and pressure plate
HKS BOV
FMIC

Engine internals are all stock. Currently m running 1bar of boost with safe on fuel side. was just wondering if i can increase it and till what boost the engine will sustain it from the 28R? Thanks....:)

omikron

Member +
why would it be a time bomb? if ppl run the same boost with a less efficient (read: hotter charge producing) turbo why would one bar from a gt28r be any worry providing afrs are right?

Skalabala

Member +
Boost is not relevant, it is HP.
So what we are saying is that you must be making about 220hp+ with that turbo at 1bar
Not a good idea, these engines are soft when still stock.

weeJohn

Lifer
why would it be a time bomb? if ppl run the same boost with a less efficient (read: hotter charge producing) turbo why would one bar from a gt28r be any worry providing afrs are right?

A GT28R might flow a little more air than say a TD04 at 1 bar, that larger amount of air is getting forced into the cylinder with the right amount of fuel and then the rods are being asked to hold on while they compress it, then when it explodes as well lol.

dark_knight

Member +
ct9@0.9

ok. just out of curiosity, how much more advanced should timing be (on idle) if you are intent on running 0.9bar on a ct9b on stock internals and presuming fueling is taken care of..?

Skalabala

Member +
about 14deg I would say.
John buddy a 2860R flows more than a little more than a TD04.
Unless he has the small 2860R
And the ring lands are also asked nicely to hold on just to beat that german car :p

azerty

Supermoderator
ok. just out of curiosity, how much more advanced should timing be (on idle) if you are intent on running 0.9bar on a ct9b on stock internals and presuming fueling is taken care of..?

what idle timing are you talking about ? crank reading, playing with distributor at idle ? this should be 10° (no mater the boost and turbo you'll be using)

dark_knight

Member +
idle = 800rpm?

so azerty, if i time to 10° at idle then how will i know what the ecu will be doing higher up in the rev range..? plus, when we say idle here, are we talking about 750~800rpm on a warmed up engine..? i have some obd-I diagnostic software i can run to give me very specific and precise intel on exactly what the ecu is reading/using as parameters.. hence my questioning..

squidge218

Member +
best to stick to td04 on stock internals as less laggy !! gt28 i would imagine is quite laggy at one bar and cant use it to its full potential with a gt28 as they are rated to 350 and a stock engine can only handle around 220-230 safely ? if i were you either sell the gt28 kit and get a td04 kit for better response or save up and forge ya 4e!!

azerty

Supermoderator
so azerty, if i time to 10° at idle then how will i know what the ecu will be doing higher up in the rev range..? plus, when we say idle here, are we talking about 750~800rpm on a warmed up engine..? i have some obd-I diagnostic software i can run to give me very specific and precise intel on exactly what the ecu is reading/using as parameters.. hence my questioning..

First, you should setup idle timing using flash light. this is the best and only precise way. you will be using the best tool on hearth, your eyes :)

then why would you like to advance timing on high rev ?? Do you realise more timing means more dets ?

Last edited:

dark_knight

Member +
ten or fourteen?

now i'm lost. Skalabala says 14° at idle. azerty says 10°. which is which. as for how i will do it, i have software that feeds me with the parameters the ecu is seeing so i will be able to tell precisely what timing the engine is running at AT the specific revs.. i won't need a timing light.. :D