5E oil pressure

Anglas

Member +
Hi guys,

Some says, that improve 5E oil pressure, need to change 5E oil pick up and sump to 4E sump and pick up. It is true?
Also I heard that modified oil pressure releif valve, can damage the oil pump. It is true?

Skalabala

Member +
Leave it as is. It was designed that way and it works.
Another pick up will not increase oil pressure.
Going above designed pressure could cause damage.

AdamB

Member +
If you use the 4E sump you have to use the 4E pick up. Use the 5E sump you'll have to tap the turbo oil return in and use the 5E pick up.
Shimming the oil pressure relief valve has been done many times and has never caused problems, it is trial and error to get the correct thickness washer/shim as too much pressure can be bad. But aslong as the pressure is reduced when the oil is warm it should be ok. As far as I know the 5E's which haven't had the shim are the ones more likely to fail due to low oil pressure. I've never seen a 5E thats had the relief valve shimmed fail.

goldenvtr

Member +
didnt shim my 5e, been fine, 85/90 psi pressure when cold and never goes below 25psi when warmed up at idle i get about 10 psi per 1000rpm starting at 25psi at 1000rpm

AdamB

Member +
Why is it though that once the 5E has been turbo'd its more likely to suffer low oil pressure problems? :(

goldenvtr

Member +
no idea, but i am using a 4e sump and pickup, cant remember if the 5e sump is baffled or not ive got it in the garage somewhere

AdamB

Member +
I didn't think it was baffled, well my 5E sump isn't, I thought it was only the turbo varients that were. I will be using the 4E sump and pick up as well, but still unsure if to shim it or not. Can't afford it to weld a bearing :(

goldenvtr

Member +
the baffle is probly the reason for low oil pressure then, i deffinatly wouldnt use the 5e sump unless it was baffled, maybe this is why i went with the 4e sump ( i forget as its been over 5 years scince i built my 5e lol)

sam_glanz

Member +
I used my 4e sump and pick up, from memory the 4e are a fair bit deeper than 5e, and I didn't shim the valve on my 5e but it's all apart at the moment I might shim it this time, as I'll be using oil pressure gauge so I'll be able to tell

lots of people use the 4efte sump and oil pickup as it makes the process a little easier----the oil return hole is already there
i have a few 5efhe sumps lying around...strange enough i think the 5efhe sump is baffled....i dont know about the 5efe
we've done it using the stock 4efte oil relief valve (no shimming) and never had any troubles
from a visual inspection, the oil relief valve appears to be the same on the 4efte and 5efhe---we did not measure them to confirm anything

http://www.tercelreference.com/tercel_info/component_library/engine_components.html#oilpans

PS-weejohn states that they are the same part number wise

Last edited: