5efte issues

heathw

Fresh Recruit
Hi there, im new on the site. I have a GT starlet and recently performed a 5efhe conversion using the stock 4efte injectors, turbo, fuel system, etc. I am also running the stock 4efte pistions (Compression ratio is 9:1). Intercooler size has been increased and changed to fornt mount.

I understood that the standard fuel system was fine but recently performed a dyno and was told that the engine is detonating as boost comes on and running lean over most the range. Can anyone provide any insight on this? Adjusting the timing did not seem to help either. Are there any easy upgrades to up the fuel i.e. increase fuel injector size (if so, to what?), add fuel pressure regulator (what settings)?, fuel pump upgrade?

Is it necessary to go aftermarket piggyback computer? which is most suitable? any insight would be appreciated. Are other people having similar issues?

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
you dont guess the fuel pressure.. get it checked on an RR when upping the pressure with an FPR.

u need to bump your fuel up
try to get some 315cc - 330cc injectors and/or an adjustable fpr in the short-term

its best to get a piggyback fuel computer to tune the car, as it will have lean spots at certain points in the rev range IF left untuned (or no additional fuel)

u can go standalone if u plan to do major upgraded in the future

PS - i would not advise u to drive the car in its current state (detonating)...whatever fuel/ignition mods you do, please get it checked on the dyno

hubbygt

Member +
As already stated i would advise not to drive the car as is untill you get the fuelling side of things checked. If the fuelling is not spot on and is detonating you could cause major damage. Bigger injectors will deffo be needed as stock 4efte injectors will not do imo and a piggyback will do nicely for mapping, unless your gonna go with a crazy setup you will not need a stand alone ecu

heathw

Fresh Recruit
u need to bump your fuel up
try to get some 315cc - 330cc injectors and/or an adjustable fpr in the short-term

its best to get a piggyback fuel computer to tune the car, as it will have lean spots at certain points in the rev range IF left untuned (or no additional fuel)

u can go standalone if u plan to do major upgraded in the future

PS - i would not advise u to drive the car in its current state (detonating)...whatever fuel/ignition mods you do, please get it checked on the dyno

are there interchangable injectors of this size? as bad as the post sounds the car actually appears to run fine

heathw

Fresh Recruit
u should try to increase the petrol by fpr mte

im not completely clued up on the starlet setup, is there not a fuel pressure regulator supplied on the standard starlet? secondly, if i get a piggy back setup do i also need fuel pressure regulator or is this optional?