600rpm wiv lights on

alrite guys lately my gt has been idling at 600revs when fully heated up wiv the lights on, now i know that i need to adjust the idle back to 8-900revs but will that not mean that when i start the car up it will idle at 17-1800 rather than 1500revs????? also is adjusting the idle a quick fix to a bigger problem????:confused:
cheers:)

GT-TD04

Supermoderator
Usally its a quick fix as there should be no reason for the idle screw to change on its own.
Go to a motor factors and get them to check your battery,should have 12volts,if thats ok check your altenator.

I take it you havent done any wiring lately,putting something in or taking something out,if you have thats probably the problem and ignore the above until you check that first.

weeJohn

Lifer
The ecu gets a signal when a high electricalload is switched on, in this case it gets it from the tail light relay. Check a pin out drawing to see what pin it is and make sure the signal is getting there.

Other causes can be a badly adjusted tps, a clogged up idle control valve or bad battery.

I would start with the idle control valve, give it a clean out with a solvent cleaner, if no better check the tps setting.

Usally its a quick fix as there should be no reason for the idle screw to change on its own.
Go to a motor factors and get them to check your battery,should have 12volts,if thats ok check your altenator.

I take it you havent done any wiring lately,putting something in or taking something out,if you have thats probably the problem and ignore the above until you check that first.

i can check the battery myself so that wont b a prob, how wud i go about checking the alternator??? same check as the batt??? the alternator has been on the car since it left the factory will be changing everything on the engine soon though
the only thing ive changed recently on the car is the exhaust which is blowin doubt its that lol

The ecu gets a signal when a high electricalload is switched on, in this case it gets it from the tail light relay. Check a pin out drawing to see what pin it is and make sure the signal is getting there.

Other causes can be a badly adjusted tps, a clogged up idle control valve or bad battery.

I would start with the idle control valve, give it a clean out with a solvent cleaner, if no better check the tps setting.

cheers m8 will giv them a check 2moz:) need 2 tighten my alternator belt anyway