90 celica gt with 3sgte motor swap. need help plz!!!!

90celica3sGTE

Fresh Recruit
hello everyone. i just purchased a 90 celica gt with a 3sgte motor swap. its a single turbo i dont know what kind it is the guy said it was rebuilt though. it has a machined head and 2 1/2 inch downpipe and exhaust with a master flow exhaust. ive noticed a couple days after buying it, it had a gray smoke and oil smell coming from the exhaust. i thought it was running to rich until i started to smell oil. also when the car is started at a cold start it is boggish and idles really low at 300 to 500 rpms it was idling at 900 to 1000 when i bought it. it is really under powered and doesnt run well till its warmed up. when reving up in neutral and letting off the gas it almost dies. ive taken it to a mechanic and they cant find the problem. i put a new ignition wire and coil on it and had the idle adjusted along with the timing. i put a new coolant sensor also. im drawing a blank on what could be causing the problem. they did a compression test on it and everything was fine with that. if you have any ideas of what it could be please let me know. i cant figure out how to put pics up yet but i will soon.
Thanks for everything.

P4303790.jpg
[/IMG]

P4303788.jpg
[/IMG]

P4303787.jpg
[/IMG]

P4303784.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

GT-TD04

Supermoderator
running a turbo car when cold will damage the big ends,be careful

Did you check the 02/lambabda sensor? usally makes the run lean until it warms up
as for the idle-
Did you check all the vaccum pipes for leaks?
clean idle control valve?
all connectioms around the inlet manifold?
And is there any leaks?

As for the smoke,is it more white?that would indicate problems with the turbo,oil seals

GT-TD04

Supermoderator
i havent yet im not the best with these kinds of cars. and the smoke is sort of white/gray color

Then it could be your turboseals

Neither am i to be honest,there just common problems really.

Pm dan3sgte (something like that) on here,he's running the same engine in his starlet so he could be able to help