96 glanza v cooling and idling problem

t.sutton

Fresh Recruit
i recently flushed rad and since im not getting hot air,temp gauge is staying normal,thres 2 radiator fans should 2 of them be working at idle cus only one is at the mo any ideas??recently i tuned down car as it was idling high everything was ok till today it started idling high again wat could it be??

corofin12345

Member +
the fan you can see at the front is the air con fan mate and as for gettin no hot air it sounds like your heater matrix is clogged up..

i recently flushed rad and since im not getting hot air,temp gauge is staying normal,thres 2 radiator fans should 2 of them be working at idle cus only one is at the mo any ideas??recently i tuned down car as it was idling high everything was ok till today it started idling high again wat could it be??

It most likely is air locked and needs to be bled. Used to happen to me on other cars but I can't point out to you where exactly the bleeding screw is on the 4Efte's

corofin12345

Member +
It most likely is air locked and needs to be bled. Used to happen to me on other cars but I can't point out to you where exactly the bleeding screw is on the 4Efte's

there is none.. if the temp gauge is reading normal and no hot air is coming through the vents its defo the heater matrix.. happend me and i just flushed out the matrix and was grand after it... i just leave off the rad cap when bleeding the system:)

durmz

Member +
to unclog the matrix, remove the two bigger pipes going from the thermostat housing to the bulkhead, put the garden hose againt the right hand side one, believe it flows round this way, someone can correct me, the lightly add pressure and flush that sucker out

akis

Fresh Recruit
1.take rad cap off & drain the radiator by uncrewing the niplle of the radiator
2.flush the hole system using water with a garden hose
3.screw the bleed niplle of the radiator tight
4.top radiator with coolant fluid
5. start engine with rad cao off and let idle for a good 5-7 min.
6. put cap on
7. after a small drive let everything cool down and re-check coolant level
*during this proceedure have the hot air turned on so fluid pass thriugh heater matrix

corofin12345

Member +
these are the 2 pipes goin through the bulk head 2 heater matrix.. flush out either with water hose...

Image041-1.jpg

t.sutton

Fresh Recruit
glanza v

corofin u are 1 man for the pics must admit there at the bak of the engine arent they??wat do i do spray hose into them??

corofin12345

Member +
yup.. tricky enough 2 take off but once the hoses are off give them a good flush out with a garden hose and if at hand a compressor with short bursts of air..

Image311-1.jpg

;)

corofin12345

Member +
have you checked your thermostat..?? run the car for a good 10 mins and keep an eye on the bottom hose off the rad.. when hot the hose should be easy 2 sqeeze.. listen 2 the fuse box beside battery and listen for clicking.. the relays for the fan is in there.. had a problem with my thermostat when i got the car first and the fan was goin on and off like mad then wouldnt come on at all... as for idiling high have you tried cleaning the idle control valve (icv)

Last edited:

t.sutton

Fresh Recruit
glanza

wer is thermostat??i cleaned icv but it didn make a diff even wen engine was runnin i unplugged it and it was still same,sumtimes when i drive car.stop and turn off engine and start gen few mins later it idles ok till i drive gen

Last edited:

t.sutton

Fresh Recruit
glanza

k no probs,ill try in the morn,is it handy to get at??wat bout the idling situation??wat else could it be??

corofin12345

Member +
wer is thermostat??i cleaned icv but it didn make a diff even wen engine was runnin i unplugged it and it was still same,sumtimes when i drive car.stop and turn off engine and start gen few mins later it idles ok till i drive gen

could you take a picture of your inlet manifold and put it up here... idling high can be so many things.. does sound like a vac leak tho

corofin12345

Member +
k no probs,ill try in the morn,is it handy to get at??wat bout the idling situation??wat else could it be??

ull have 2 empty the coolant 2 do it and no not hard at all.. simple way 2 check 2 see if the thermostat is faulty is 2 put it into boiling water and see if it opens then into cold water 2 see if it closes

t.sutton

Fresh Recruit
glanza

ill take a pic tomm of inlet tomm and put it up,does coolant def hav to be drained to remove thermo??