a question for oilman: single- vs. multi-grade oil

dark_knight

Member +
i live in the tropics (equator) where we seldom see temps go down below 15deg C (59deg F) on the coldest of days/nights here and so was wondering, instead of using the multi-grade 10w-30 or similar oils for my fte engine, can i just swap that for a single-grade oil like SAE-30 or -40 oil..?

what are the engine health 'dangers' related to running a single-grade oil in this engine..? i could be wrong but i presume that the chemical agents used to make an oil multi-grade also let/make it break down faster than single-grade oil..? let me know what you think..
cheers..

Last edited:

Paul_JJ

Member +
i live in the tropics (equator) where we seldom see temps go down below 15deg C (59deg F) on the coldest of days/nights here and so was wondering, instead of using the multi-grade 10w-30 or similar oils for my fte engine, can i just swap that for a single-grade oil like SAE-30 or -40 oil..?

what are the engine health 'dangers' related to running a single-grade oil in this engine..? i could be wrong but i presume that the chemical agents used to make an oil multi-grade also let/make it break down faster than single-grade oil..? let me know what you think..
cheers..

My advise (after reading a lot of literature) would be - if you never experience below 0 temperatures - then u will be just fine, however for a piece of mind (in case of Global Warming, etc....) I would stick with a quality 10W40 or 15W40 - at the end of the day (in your climate) it's not about what oil do you use it's about how often do you change it -0))))))