A quick ignition timing query!

CMR

Member +
Just a quick and quite urgent question,

I have an adjustable timing light and in the process of timing the car, do I set the dial on it to 10BTDC (i.e what the car should be at?)

Ive searched on the net and read the tutorial on here and ive got mixed results :confused::confused::confused:

From a source on the web
The timing light is in the shape of a pistol and has a dial on the back of the light marked in degrees (0 to 60). It also has a clamp type pickup that you fit around the No. 1 plug wire, and it has electrical leads. With the clamp on the No. 1 plug wire and the electrical leads connected, the dial should then be set for the amount of advance desired.

But m16chris in our tutorial says
note if ur gun has a dial on it set it to 0

Help!! :p

dac69er

Super Moderator
if you set the dial to 10 you want the mark to be on 0. if you set the dial to 0 you want the mark to be on 10 ;)

its for cars with only one timing mark

Last edited:

Big_Daddy

Member +
I taught it was other way round! Ive set my gun to 10 and marked up the timing to 10 degress on crank cover! did i set it wrong?

dac69er

Super Moderator
I taught it was other way round! Ive set my gun to 10 and marked up the timing to 10 degress on crank cover! did i set it wrong?

as long as your gun is like all other then yes. you will have set yours 20 degrees i think!?

Last edited:

danturbo4311

Member +
The dial on the gun comes in handy to double check that the timing is correct, set the gun to 0 then use the 10 degree timing mark on the lower cambelt cover. Once you've done that you can double check its correct by setting the gun to 10 degrees & go by the 0 mark on the lower cambelt cover

dac69er

Super Moderator
The dial on the gun comes in handy to double check that the timing is correct, set the gun to 0 then use the 10 degree timing mark on the lower cambelt cover. Once you've done that you can double check its correct by setting the gun to 10 degrees & go by the 0 mark on the lower cambelt cover

thats exactly what i did ;) check it twice and then you cant be wrong!

Big_Daddy

Member +

dam i done it wrong then, ive set my gun to 10degress and aligned timing mark with 10 cover! shoul dhave set gun to 0 first.

CMR

Member +
Yeh i nearly did it like that

My car is spot on, 10btdc when at 0 on gun.

Running out of things to change or check now...

Big_Daddy

Member +
Just hope weather holds, jus wish also my timing marks havent faded. did you do your timing with coolant/washer bottle still in place?

dac69er

Super Moderator
Just hope weather holds, jus wish also my timing marks havent faded. did you do your timing with coolant/washer bottle still in place?

i did mine with everything in place without even cleaning or marking anything. i have good eyes ;)

CMR

Member +
With everything in place, but as i have a glanza my washer bottle isnt near there

I also didnt even need to tippex the marks, youd have to be blind not to see em anyway! :D

I actually wanted my timing to be out, because it made sense for the symptoms i have. Now that it is spot on im a bit :(:( Dunno what to do with the car :shoot:

CMR

Member +
Nothing on diagnostic test.

Shit mpg (25mpg ish just average driving not pedal to the metal), poor RR result and running rich as fook.

Changed lambda, coolant temp sensor, new plugs and now checked timing.

Running back on stock ecu at 0.8 bar again, ct9 hybrid.

Not sure what else to check or change.

Nothing on diagnostic test.

Shit mpg (25mpg ish just average driving not pedal to the metal), poor RR result and running rich as fook.

Changed lambda, coolant temp sensor, new plugs and now checked timing.

Running back on stock ecu at 0.8 bar again, ct9 hybrid.

Not sure what else to check or change.

Have you driven it since you sorted the timming?