a very starnge one/ car smoking bluey white

turbostar

Member +
right iv hade my 1992 j-reg gt for 2 years now and ever since iv had it. every now and then more so in warmer weather she will smoke on tick over at lights etc and then when i pull off a big cloud of smoke then it clears (just leaving the person behind thinking ther on stars in ther eyes or something),

its a really strange one like i said iv had the car for 2 years now and it does it every now and then iv had it booked in to garages but bye the time its due in it stops and there like what you talking about!!!!

it just pops up every now and again. DOES ANY ONE ELS GET THIS PROBLEM??

Iv thourght turbo seals but if they wer going surley it would smoke all the time??

I also changed my pcv valve and no different??

i reagualy change my oil and filter, but does not seem to make a differnce??

ANY HELP PLEASE?

L

lukey5e

lad i had the same problem its the valve stem seals in the head letting trough a bit of oil in the combustion chamber ,,,i had an extra head living around and its perfect now no smoke...hope this has helped ya

mingles

Fresh Recruit
Ye thats rite.In most cases it wud be the valve steam seals.If u check the intake an exhaust side of the turbo and there dry that wud rule out the turbo.If the smoke is blue then that cud be the rings but u cud check the compression to get an idea.Hope this helps you out.

turbostar

Member +
yer im prittly sure its not the turbo iv had ther decat off a few times and its dry and also ther is no signs of oil in the intercooler pipe work.

i think i will next get a compression check done and see wot i get.
if ther cool maybe it is the valve stem oil seals??

ITS JUST SO STARNGE IT DOES NOT DO IT ALL THE TIME??

mingles

Fresh Recruit
well check the compression and then you wud know for sure.Hope you get it sorted soon as im sure thats a pain.

xxjack189

Member +
something similar happened to me, every so often when id leave the car on idle white smoke would come out the exhaust, or when i put it in neutral and pushed the accelerator a heap of smoke would be pushed out the exhaust, turned out to be turbo seals in the end, so got a replacent turbo:)

turbostar

Member +
smok

so i have completed my compression check and all are hitting 150 psi.

so still to determin valve stems?? or Turbo seals???