About to tune a 5E-FE

toyonut

Fresh Recruit
I want to swap my allmost running on diesel (it uses 1 litre a month engine oil) carbed 2E engine in my EP71 starlet for a 5EFE.

Bought yesterday a 5EFE engine, but need some parts as ecu, exhaust manifold, harness and TPS sensor.

My plans are to run it NA, tune the engine by flowing and porting the head (done it before some times)

Someone offered me a 5E-FHE ecu for sale, can i use it on a (tuned) 5E-FE?

toyonut

Fresh Recruit
It has the 5EFE intake manifold, no ACIS manifold. I have been reading the 5EFHE ecu needs another extra sensor input the 5EFE doesn't have.

toyonut

Fresh Recruit
Well, plans are changed now

It appeared the bearings where shot and not easy repairable (big end slammed out) and crank is not supposed to be trusted, bearings are almost welded into the crankpin. So, what now. For fun i fitted a 2E head gasket on the 5FE head; all the same!! Studied the rest too, and it is possible to build a 1350cc 2E-FE engine :)

From 2E (carbed) engine i use:
Block, crank, rods, tranni, clutch, starter and so on

From a 5EFE with blown crank bearings i use:

16V Head, pistons (to be pressed on the 2E rods) Timing gear, Intake and exhaust manifold.

Extra things needed: 2EE or 4EFE ecu, wiring harness, electric fuel pump and some thicker fuel line, petrol catch can in engine bay to insure fuel supply in the longer curves.

The cilinders have to be bored to 74mm (are 73)

At the moment busy with flowing the head. Just fitted the 5E head on a 2E block: fits like LEGO, even the headbolts. Keep you posted.

Last edited: