abs blowing fuses

Aidan-G

Member +
blew my abs fuse last week,so got another one to see if it would blow and it did so last night..any suggestions to why its blowing?

had a look around today but didnt notice any damaged wires to be shorting it out,the only thing i can think off is the cv joint i fitted it wasnt a toyota one,i changed the abs ring over but there isnt a dust cover on the spurious one,maybe theres water hitting the abs sensor on that side?

i changed that cv joint before christmas and has been spot on since last week

quadcorecraig

Member +
check main loom running through firewall into the car and then into your ECU, if bung has come out it will rub wires away, thats what happend to me

Texx

Super Moderator
Which fuse has blown? What's its rating?

If you disconnect the multiplug from the ABS modulator and then replace the blown fuse, does the fuse still blow?

Aidan-G

Member +
its the abs fuse in the fuse box in the engine bay,it was a 50amp fuse when it first blew,but i could only get a 60amp the second time and it blew it

texx do you mean taking out the two plugs from the abs relay and seeing if it blows?if so ill try it the next time i get a fuse

craig i had a look but seems grand..i had to change that loom many a time,lol..

might get up to you wednesday dec to have a look at these lights!

Texx

Super Moderator
its the abs fuse in the fuse box in the engine bay,it was a 50amp fuse when it first blew,but i could only get a 60amp the second time and it blew it

texx do you mean taking out the two plugs from the abs relay and seeing if it blows?if so ill try it the next time i get a fuse

The 50 amp fuse feeds the pump motor and the solenoid valves via 2 separate relays. If you disconnect all the connectors from the ABS modulator and fit another fuse, it should give some indication as to whether the short circuit is in the wiring between the 50 amp fuse and the modulator connector or a internal fault with the ABS modulator itself.

If the fuse does not blow when the modulator connectors are disconnected, it's likely the modulator will need replacing to rectify the fault. If the fuse still blows with the modulator disconnected, then you'll need to visually check the wire harness between the fuse box and modulator for any obvious damage. If you can't visually locate any damage to the wiring, then the next step would be to pull the ABS relays one at a time to determine if the short circuit is between the fuse and the relays or between the relays and the modulator.

If you have a multimeter and know how to use it, it will be quite useful.

Aidan-G

Member +
dont know how i forgot about this but at the weekend (after the fuse blew) i had to sort this out,my manifold melted a few wires,was a nightmare to sort out as they were all stuck together

Image002.jpg

this might of been causing it as some wires were showing and may have been arcing of the mani

but ill do what you said anyway when i get a fuse to be sure its nothing else

Texx

Super Moderator
dont know how i forgot about this but at the weekend (after the fuse blew) i had to sort this out,my manifold melted a few wires,was a nightmare to sort out as they were all stuck together

I'd say that's probably where the fault is. Recheck the damaged area of the wire harness and ensure every wire is properly insulated.