abs help please

turbojim

Lifer
well guys
im really stuck now and hopefully someone can help me solve the issue
the abs light is on constantly in a 93 gt im working on and i cannot figure out what is wrong, iv tried doing the flash codes by crossing e1 and tc but the light doesnt flash just stays on constant
and when i looked that up it says the abs ecu is at fault? is that right?
so i then changed the abs ecu but still the same story

can anyone shed any light on this please?

thank you

The abs light stays on but flashes a tiny bit brighter to give the codes when you bridge the terminals dude have a closer look. Try a reset see what happens.

turbojim

Lifer
so your saying the abs light stays on constant and flashes a bit brighter so its not like the engine flash code where the light turns on and off
also i tried resetting it corey by pressing the brake 8 times in 3 secs with tc and e1 bridged and it worked the light turned off for 2 seconds then turned on again solid and il give bridging them another shot tonight maybe im not looking hard enough

thank you

turbojim

Lifer
front ones were cleaned but il do the rears tonight and see
just tought as there was no flash codes it was something more serious?

SupaStu

Member +
If there are no flash codes and the light stays on, you probably need to reset the system a few times to clear it. You might need to take it for a spin as well and reset again.

Reset the system and see what happens from there. Also the brightness is just because you may not have removed the metal pin, it displays properly when this is removed.

SupaStu

Member +
Hi, if you follow the guide in this link, it is very helpful, with diagrams. When in troubleshooting mode, you should be able to clearly see the light flashing, i think if you dont remove the metal pin from the diagnostic port, it looks like the ABS light is on constantly with the brightness changing as it is also flashing:

http://www.forparts.com/techtips/toyota_ICabstoycorolla0301.asp

This area explains the check:

"TROUBLESHOOTING
The ABS warning lamp should come on for a bulb check when the ignition is first switched on, then go out if no faults have been detected. However, if the lamp remains on, it means the system has detected a fault and deactivated the ABS system.

Fortunately, Toyota provides flash codes to read the ABS codes on the Corolla. To check the codes, turn on the ignition, remove the short pin from the ABS check connector (See Fig. 2) and use a jumper to connect terminals Tc and E1."

To reset:

To clear fault codes, leave the jumper in place between terminals Tc and E1 with the key on, then pump the brake pedal eight or more times in three seconds or less. When codes are erased, the ABS light should flash two times per second.

It took me a few go's to clear/reset the system when i replaced the broken ABS rings on mine.

Last edited:

turbojim

Lifer
ok i went out after last night after reading what supastu said and i cannot find the short pin am i blind????? the block in the starlet seems to be different to the one in the diagram of the corolla? i checked my 2 starlets last night and the plugs are all the same one bein non abs and the other having abs but no short pin in any of them?

SupaStu

Member +
mmm, not sure, i have the same pin and layout in my Glanza as the diagram of the corolla. Might be worth someone else with a GT to check,

turbojim

Lifer
going looking at one with abs after work today hopefully this thing has my head wrecked
thanks man il rep you for the help