Adjustable Timing light

Ashrafi

Member +
Hi All, i know what ill ask is a bit fussy , but have to....

can any one explain how to use an adjustable timing light to calibrate the timing of my 4efte engine. i have a timing light with a round knob at the back which goes from 0% to 60% and i dunno on what degree to put it to adjust the timing at 10% on the lower cam..

forget the step of bride the T1 TE1 stuff. your help would be very much appreciated

dac69er

Super Moderator
do you mean 0-60 degrees???

normally you either set the dial to 0 and then check the timing mark is at 10 degrees on the lower cambelt cover, or set the dial to 10 degrees and make sure the timing mark is at 0 on the lower cam belt cover.

does it not tell you in the manual for the timing light?

Texx

Super Moderator
As above, set the gun to 0, short out terminals TE1 and E1 in the diagnostic port and check the timing mark on the crank pulley lines up with the 10 mark on the belt cover.

Ashrafi

Member +
ya i mean degrees , so it needs to be set on 0 degrees and the light should blink on the 10 degree mark on the lower cam.

thanks guys, done it last night and the light was blinking near 22-25 degrees on the lower cam when set to 0 on the back of the timing light. I aligned it to 10 degrees and the car runs more smoothly.

when it was on 22-25 degrees the car used to hold back on full throttle and not delivering full power. now its ok. i guess the ECU was retarding the timing too much on full boost.

any way thank for ypur help guys,